Hello all!

I've been trying to assist my sister with her Dell All-in-One 922 printer/scanner. I refilled her black cartridge by removing the sticker that says 'Do Not Remove this Sticker' and injecting ink the same way I do with my Canon printer cartridges. It worked for about 10 pages, then stopped. The next time I was at her place, I refilled the cartridge again, and cleaned the contacts, but the printer won't acknowledge that the cartridge is full. It prints using the colour cartridge (which is also running low), but not the black, even though it's full of ink.

Am I missing something? Is there something else I need to do? Or has Dell arranged it so that you just can't refill their cartridges?

Your assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and good morning.

Bell

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

this happened on my epson styus

Hi Bell,

This is a common problem with all Dell, Lexmark and the newer (last 4-5 years) HP inkjet cartridges. This happens because these are foam (sponge) filled inkjet cartridges with an attached printhead. When the ink flow is interrupted (by low ink) or when you are completely out of ink, these specific inkjet cartridges are more difficult to get printing after refilling. Here's two things to keep in mind when refilling these inkjet cartridges:

1.) Refill as soon as you get a low ink warning or no later than five pages afterward. Do not wait until you have light print.
2.) Good ink formulations (some kits are truly better than others)

If you have filled your inkjet cartridge and not getting the necessary print, please make sure that you have enough ink in the inkjet cartridge. Also, make sure that you have not plugged the Dell cartridge. Simply replace the Dell label back on top of the inkjet cartridge (leaving fill-hole open) and this will work the best. If your Dell label will not stick, it is okay to use scotch tape but no plugs. Make sure you leave the fill-hole completely open. Otherwise, it may create a vacuum and you will get no print or interrupted print.

Always let your inkjet cartridge sit for 20 minutes after refilling. I suggest putting the inkjet cartridge on a dry paper. Sit the cartridge on the dry paper towel with the printhead down but do not let the printhead touch the dry paper towel (you will need to slight tilt the cartridge slightly so the printhead is not touching the paper towel). Letting the inkjet cartridge sit will allow for the ink to saturate the foam (sponge) inside the cartridge and give time for any air bubbles to dissipate.

One of the printers I have is a Dell A940 (not my favorite but the scanners on these are great). I've had this printer for about 3 years and have only purchased two sets of inkjet cartidges. When I any difficulty with print quality (light print), I change the print type to "best" or "photograph, and then best". If your printer thinks it is printing a photograph, it works harder to pull the ink out of the cartridge.

PRIMING:

If you are getting light print, skipped print or no print, you may want to prime the cartridge. I suggest folding up a paper towel into a small square and saturating it with water. Take your refilled cartridge and lightly press the printhead against the wet paper towel. Within a 15 seconds to a minute, you should see ink coming out of the cartridge. When the ink comes out of the cartridge, gently blot the printhead with a dry paper towel. Make sure the cartridge is not leaking or forming a drip and then place it in your printer. Run a short print test.

In some cases or in the event you don't have a printhead cleaner in your ink refill kit, I recommend soaking the printhead. Take an old cup and saucer (flat plate). Pour equal parts of white vinegar and water in the cup (you want enough of this solution to cover the flat saucer (flat plate).) Then heat the water and vinegar in the microwave in the cup. Make sure it is heated hot but not scalding hot. (No hotter than coffee you would drink.) Then pour out the solution onto the flat saucer (small flat plate). Take your black or color cartridge and sit it upright with the printhead sitting in the warm solution. It may leak a little ink slightly. This is okay. Let it sit no more than 20 minutes. Remove the cartridge and lightly blot the printhead.Wad up a dry paper towel and sit the cartridge on the dry paper towel at a slight angle. You want the printhead to face down toward the dry paper towel (almost touching it) but you do not want it to touch the paper towel. The reason for this is because if the cartridge is sitting in fluid of any kind (ink included), it will continue to leak. The reason for soaking the printhead is to clean it and also to pull the ink through the foam. Let the cartridge sit for at least 20 minutes before putting it back in the printer. Never put dripping or leaking cartridge in your printer.

Also, keep in mind that the printhead nozzles on these inkjet cartridges can burn up if the cartridge tries to print without in (keep in mind that the constant ink flow cools these nozzles during print), If this happens, then the cartridge is permanently disabled. That's another good reason why is recommended that you refill just as soon as you get that low ink warning.

You always want to start your ink fill with quality ink refill system. There is a kit on the market that has about 8 refill stations in it and includes three times of ink (dye, pigment and photo). You have probably seen it on the internet or on tv and it is the one I currently use. Refill stations are handy because once you put the cartridge down in the refill station, everything is lined up for you and you are able to drill/fill the cartridge without wondering where to drill or drilling in the wrong area.

I hope these suggestions have been helpful to you. If you should have any questions, please do not hesitate to post.

Sebring

this happened on my epson styus

Can you tell me which Epson Stylus you have or better yet, what is your inkjet
cartridge number?

Sebring

I am having the save problem. I have a Dell All in One 924 printer and I just bought the ink refills, but the printer won't accept that both cartridges are full. There has got to be a way to fix this. Please help!!!

I think it is a common problem with Dell Ink Cartridges.Make sure you have to leave the fill-hole completely open. Otherwise, it may create a vacuum and you will get no print or interrupted print.If you can't print well even if you sill the ink,means there is enough ink in your printer.You have to refill your ink when it shows print low.

My problem is slightly different. My family refilled my Del black and color cartridges at Walgreens. The black wasn't empty yet, but the color one has been empty for 3 years. I never replaced the first color one since I never print in color and the black continued to work with every new Del cartridge. When I placed the refilled ones in the printer, I was prompted to print the Alignment page, which printed successfully. But no text or doc file on the computer will print. I started over, and printed the Alignment page again, but still, no text or doc file will print. Any ideas?

Scotthouse

I also had my cartridge refilled at Walgreens. It worked for a while but now I keep getting this error message:

"psw bitmap dll not loaded"

I googled that and nothing came up. After that warning goes away the note comes up that says do you want to continue printing or cancel. But neither of those words can be clicked and then the whole thing is frozen. I have been to the dells website to redown load drivers but that did not good. I have turned the printer off and back on and printed a test page which it printed but gave me a warning note that it was not correct..help!

My problem is slightly different. My family refilled my Del black and color cartridges at Walgreens. The black wasn't empty yet, but the color one has been empty for 3 years. I never replaced the first color one since I never print in color and the black continued to work with every new Del cartridge. When I placed the refilled ones in the printer, I was prompted to print the Alignment page, which printed successfully. But no text or doc file on the computer will print. I started over, and printed the Alignment page again, but still, no text or doc file will print. Any ideas?

Scotthouse

I have a Dell 968 AIO Printer that uses Series 7 ink can these be refilled? and how?

I have a Dell 968 AIO Printer that uses Series 7 ink can these be refilled? and how?

There are refilling kits available which through you can refill your dell printer's cartridge.It is the easiest way to refilling.

Drill the hole on raised part of cartridge,remove the label on top,Fill the syringe from the ink,insert the ink in cartridge and refill with it.

Refiling is the easiest thing.You have to make a hole on cartridge and after that you have to insert an ink through the syringe.

These are very common problems that occurs when you try to refill your inkjet cartridges, but you can try to refill them properly. It is always recommended that you use refilling kits provided with proper tools and equipments for refilling your inkjet cartridges. Although if you like to avoid the refilling task you can opt for remanufactured inkjet cartridges that are also refilled cartridges by third party manufacturer's. They are very cheap and also work fine with printers with very little or no problem at all.

I think it is the time for change your cartridge.

My Del 924 is giving me an error "incorrect cartridge" any help pls

Hello all!

I've been trying to assist my sister with her Dell All-in-One 922 printer/scanner. I refilled her black cartridge by removing the sticker that says 'Do Not Remove this Sticker' and injecting ink the same way I do with my Canon printer cartridges. It worked for about 10 pages, then stopped. The next time I was at her place, I refilled the cartridge again, and cleaned the contacts, but the printer won't acknowledge that the cartridge is full. It prints using the colour cartridge (which is also running low), but not the black, even though it's full of ink.

Am I missing something? Is there something else I need to do? Or has Dell arranged it so that you just can't refill their cartridges?

Bell

Maybe because you have bought the substandard ones. Make sure that the store is not selling factory defects or those that have not passed quality control. SAd to say there are certain store owners that resort to this. Too bad!

SNIP

First, to reset any error messages on the printer, unplug the power cord from the wall. Now remove the power brick from the back of the printer for 60 seconds. This should reset any error messages the printer has. Now plug everything back in.
After this,if your problem will not solved then go to dell and replace your cartridge.

<SNIP>

Well i think that refilling inkjet cartridges is quiet a messy task. Your hands get spoiled and you need to be very careful while using the refilling kit. I prefer remanufactured inkjet cartridges for my printer that are pre-refilled cartridges that you can get from any vendor online. They are reasonably cheap and are Eco-friendly as well. Never tried refilling though.....

Hello all!

Bell

commented: Oh, really? And just where could we find online cartridges? Spammer perhaps? -2
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.