Hi folks,

Why most of all laptop's touch-pad is not at the center?
I've seen so many laptops whose touch-pad is at left side from center.
It is convenient to use when touch-pad @ center.

Can anyone give me the answer?

Waiting for your reply.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

it depends upon the design of laptop while manufacture so there is not any exact reason that touch pad have should be in center but if your laptop ls larger in size i.e more that 15" and the keyboard have number pad then the touch pad are in left side of center.

I think it is because of the ergonomic reasons.

It's because with the touch pad in the middle of the laptop, it would put strain on your wrists, the same reason they make those new keyboards.

hi, we have 4 laptops here right now and 2 are off center , a Toshiba,and a older Dell, 2 are Compaq's they are centered , I think it has more to do with the designe/layout of the inners of the laptop.making room for certin devices within!!

hi, we have 4 laptops here right now and 2 are off center , a Toshiba,and a older Dell, 2 are Compaq's they are centered , I think it has more to do with the designe/layout of the inners of the laptop.making room for certin devices within!!

Well you think wrong.

Well you think wrong.

really ,please explain why some are centered and why some are off-center

@Master Rattley,
I don't think so, 'coz MacBook has touch pad neither Off-Centered nor put strain on the wrist! So...there should be an adequate reason

some are right-handed, left-handed, ambidextrous is my guess...

In the starting days you will face problem but after some time you will be convenient to use your laptop touch-pad whether it is at left side or at center.

Mine Vaio is not centered too, but I like it. I think its because otherwise it will hurt your wrist.

I really think touch functions on laptops are the way of the future, once we all (the human brain) gets used of typing without feeling any feedback (like the keys on a regular keyboard) we are gonna move to another era of touchkeyboards, just like the ones found on Apple's iPad

Looking forward to that moment :*

It's because Apple has a patent on the trackpad centered. Everyone else offsets to avoid the patent.

It's because Apple has a patent on the trackpad centered. Everyone else offsets to avoid the patent.

sound affable to me ,dough if anyone could patten a position of the trackpad

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.