i was planing to buy a lenovo laptop

Processor Intel® Core™ i5-2410M Dual Core (2.3GHz)

Screen 17.3" (Lenovo, LED Backlit, 1600 x 900 Resolution)

Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit

RAM 8GB (DDR3 1333MHZ)

Hard Drive 750GB

Optical Drive DVD Rewriter

Graphics Dedicated (AMD Radeon HD 6650M with 2GB Dedicated DDR RAM)

Battery Life 5-6 Hours

Cost is around 630pound...do you think it is a good idea to get this one and how good is the reputation of LENOVO..like the customer care...and overall performance and durability...basically how good is lenovo...some reviews say that it is really good bcz it purchased IBM....and all that...can it be trusted with this price ??.. ....

here is an image that shows lenovos failure rate ....

http://purplejunction.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/failurerates.png

Also I was thinking about getting ACER aspiron 5750g...but again the reviews...:icon_lol:.... for acer...kinda dissapointing.....

so its between lenovo and acer...ANY SUGGESTIONS...:confused:

Recommended Answers

All 34 Replies

The last time that I looked into it I think that I found that Customer Service for many of the manufacturers seemed to be pretty poor. A number of them make pretty good hardware (I think both Toshiba and Lenovo fell into that category) but if anything did go wrong, it was very frustrating trying to get the problem resolved. From what I could find, Asus and MSI service was somewhat more responsive than the others (and their hardware was also good). I ended up buying an Asus laptop.

All of the manufacturers seem to have service problems so this isn't that unusual but here is an example of issues that people have had with Lenovo:
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/LENOVO-CUSTOMER-SERVICE/td-p/7289

strange after lenovo merged with IBM its reputation should have grown stronger...yet it dosent have that ...although IBM still has that cult status...atleast on the net...where people believe that lenovo is as good as IBM....or is it the spammers...:P

ASUS is definately better in terms of hardware longevity... however due to budget limits..and the kind of config i needed ...i am not able to find a decent package...somewhere around 600-650...since my laptop is more like a desktop replacement(only gng to carry it around sometimes)....i dont want a laptop that needs repair every term....

MAC is costly...vaio is overpriced...DELL also is in high demand but again not able to find a good combo...same for toshiba(satellite)..samsung is no idea(bad reviews for its screen)

whereas for ACER people ppl are divided certain sect says that it is good...others dont agree...weird...as for HP...:icon_cheesygrin:...i have 4 products and they all are terrible...damn !!!

one bad shot and i am screwed forever.

question remains...ACER aspiron 5750g vs Lenovo g770...:-/

I will choose Lenovo G770. Lenovo is great but the battery life is a bit disappointing. When they said it can last for 5-6 hours it actually mean 3-4 hours.

I would go for an Acer Aspire, if you really had to choose between those 2..
An Aspire is definitely worth it's price, as far as I experienced.
Otherwise, if you care for support, go for a Dell.
Their support is really great (you have to pay for in-home support, but it's worth it!)

right now with the specs acer 5750g is costlier...by about 30 pound...however it offers blu-ray...nvidia GT540m...which is better than the AMD 6650M in lenovo...though the AMD one has 2gb ram and nvidia has only 1gb...also the acer comes with bluetooth...:D

some ppl experiencing blue screen of death and other flaws(crashes a lot) with nvidia gefore 540m...

but the compromise is that acer has a 15.6 in( 1366x768 ) screen and lenovo has a hugggge...:ooh:..17.3in ( 1600 x 900) ...both HD however...everthin else is same.

is the difference in screen size ...like noticeable( i mean significant)...or is it just marginal...like when you play games and watch movies...

so basically for additional 30 bucks you get blu ray , bluetooth...1gb nvidia gt540m and 15.3in screen...loaded inside acer 5750g

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> trying to do booths algorithm and learn abt laptops simultaneously...:sweat:<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I cannot speak for Lenovo, however I have had the same Acer Aspire for over 2 years since i started university. It's still going strong even now i'm in my final year. Nothing has ever gone wrong (touch wood!) so far. My experience has shown it to be great value for money in terms of specs, however obviously it depends on your purpose for it.

In my experience (limited, I've not tested many models and devices from each brand), Lenovo offers better quality than does Acer, but at a price of potentially lower performance (specs) for higher price.

I just started a new position at a major corporation, and my company-issued laptop/workstation is a Lenovo. It seems to be a very nice system - my personal laptop is a Dell D630. In any case, the Lenovo has an i7 quad-core @ 2.8GHz, 8GB of RAM, and a 17" 1920x1080 HD display. Given the size, the weight seems reasonable to me, though I think I will probably requisition either a backup battery, or a higher capacity one.

it depends on your requirements what you want to take.

In terms of value for money, it depends. You get what you pay for. Acer'll give you higher specs for your cash, but Lenovo will offer you alot more durability in terms of build quality.
In terms of customer support though, definitely Lenovo IMHO. Acer left me hanging on the phoneline for about a hour.

I also have notice that reviews for Acer are not that good all over internet. But I'm using a Acer for more than 4 years and have another new one too. No complaints from both the lappys at all..

Good devices for the price..

i was planing to buy a lenovo laptop

Processor Intel® Core™ i5-2410M Dual Core (2.3GHz)

Screen 17.3" (Lenovo, LED Backlit, 1600 x 900 Resolution)

Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit

RAM 8GB (DDR3 1333MHZ)

Hard Drive 750GB

Optical Drive DVD Rewriter

Graphics Dedicated (AMD Radeon HD 6650M with 2GB Dedicated DDR RAM)

Battery Life 5-6 Hours

Cost is around 630pound...do you think it is a good idea to get this one and how good is the reputation of LENOVO..like the customer care...and overall performance and durability...basically how good is lenovo...some reviews say that it is really good bcz it purchased IBM....and all that...can it be trusted with this price ??.. ....

here is an image that shows lenovos failure rate ....

http://purplejunction.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/failurerates.png

Also I was thinking about getting ACER aspiron 5750g...but again the reviews...:icon_lol:.... for acer...kinda dissapointing.....

so its between lenovo and acer...ANY SUGGESTIONS...:confused:

My Acer has worked well for over four years. Their support is top notch and I've never had to wait long for a response. Don't know anything about Lenovo but I will look into them since they are one of the topnotch lines.

Lenovo is IBM's laptop line, rebranded after they stopped selling them themselves to the Chinese factory's name.
Quality is largely unchanged, price went down a bit, don't know about support (especially consumer support, we have a corporate support contract that's top notch, but with nearly 1000 of their machines in our company they'd better offer good support).

I will recommend you to go for lenovo because i have just bought an acer notebook and its not working properly so in my opinion lenovo will be a better option.

I have a Lenovo laptop for work. Nice system. Bought an Acer netboot for my grandson last year, and he's had nothing but trouble with it (mostly overheating issues)... Other people I know have had good results with Acer systems (desktops, mostly). My philosophy is to purchase the best system you can affort. My own is a custom-built server/workstation with Intel motherboard, dual quad-core processors, 8GB of ram, a tonne of disc space, and dual display nVidia graphics. It cost me an arm and half a leg, but after 4 years, it works a treat and still out-performs most new systems. I'll get a new system when this one goes (knock on wood) belly up! FWIW, I paid at least $2000USD less than an Apple Mac Pro that was equivalently (almost exactly - the Apple had less disc space) configured at the time.

I will choose Lenovo G770. Lenovo is great but the battery life is a bit disappointing. When they said it can last for 5-6 hours it actually mean 3-4 hours.

3-4 hours is still pretty good :P

I don't know. My work Lenovo with the standard battery is lucky to get 2 hours. I'm thinking to order a 9-cell battery in order to get more time when I am disconnected from a power source.

Oh, my vaio stands no more than 1 hour so... be happy :D

Member Avatar for cxlizard

I have owned one IBM laptop in the past. Sold it and purchased a 15.6" Lenovo ThinkPad two years ago. I also purchased an 11.6" Acer AO722 netbook about four months ago. The Acer doesn't even come close to the Lenovo in terms of build quality. But, it runs Windows 7 reasonably well. I never had any hardware issues with any of these laptops. But, I will never purchase another Acer. I like my laptops to be rugged. After all, aren't they meant to be hauled around? If all specs were equal, I would buy a Lenovo every time, even if the price was higher.

Lenovo!

I currently own a Lenovo ThinkPad T420 and love it. With the 9 cell battery, I can get a solid 11 hours of surfing the internet, playing music, and editing a Word document. The build quality is amazing, also.

I've always had bad experience with Acer laptops, though. My first Acer Extensa 4620z was a lemon. The battery capacity wouldn't survive a few months before I had to buy a new one. Then that new battery started to lose it's capacity as well. Then one day the laptop just wouldn't turn on at all after only two years of owning it. I would press the power button and all lights would light up, but I just had a black screen. The hard drive or DVD drive wouldn't spin up or anything.

My older sister's Acer died the same exact way in about the same amount of time. It was an Extensa model also. Maybe it's just the Extensa line that was bad.

I am staying away from Acer laptops, but they make great monitors. I've never had a problem with them, and the one I'm currently using is going on four years now.

Yep, totally agree. Lenovo build wuality is good, but the monitor does suck (acceptable likle, for business, but not great for multimedia)

Ahh the long wait has come to an end...

finally...after months of research and swinging b/w lenovo and acer ...sometimes even asus and samsung...got myself a ......* drumrolls.....*
ACER 5750G...it was offering better specs and the price kinda went down...so just laid it on acer not bad though on initial use...screen resolution seems a little weird so still getting used to it..and the battery life seems alright...in retrospect rejecting lenovo was not a bad decision afterall...and the outside(exterior) dosent look as tacky as the lenovo G770 model..hopefully acer will survive long enough...
thnks for the comments...i guess this thread is solved then.

ps : playing skyrim(ultimate).. was never so awesome... just rerieved the golden claw and got the dragon stone...me imperial :-)

Cheers !!!

Enjoy your new toy! I know a lot of folks who like Acer laptops. I have a high-end Lenovo at work, but I still prefer my old personal Dell D630.

Lenovo is the best option in my view in comparision to acer.

We used IBM Thinkpads at the office for years. I was so impressed with the quality that I bought one for my younger son when he graduated from high school in 2003. It's been through the mill but it is still running. These things are rugged and dependable. When we got a few Toshibas (I think we bought 15) we had nothing but trouble. Hard drives repeatedly failed because of a design flaw which Toshiba eventually acknowledged but refused to fix or replace.

In my experience (limited, I've not tested many models and devices from each brand), Lenovo offers better quality than does Acer, but at a price of potentially lower performance (specs) for higher price.

go with the acer, if you want. lenovo is just in the intial stage in the laptop industry. they are attracting customers by showing such config. they will give u the config, but still i would prefer acer. also try vaio.

Both are good but it depends on what configuration you wantand according to your configuartion check out which is cost effective in terms of services provided by both..
Well, I am using Dell laptop and I think it is very nice and it provides good services. It is good in terms of both sercvices and costs.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.