what is the difference between watts and rms,

i went to several home theater shops for inquiry , no one was able to tell the correct answer.
knowledge people can answer me .

how to purchase the good home theater system what all factor should be consider while buying

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

what is the difference between watts and rms,

i went to several home theater shops for inquiry , no one was able to tell the correct answer.
knowledge people can answer me .

how to purchase the good home theater system what all factor should be consider while buying

RMS is the true measure of power. It is a mathematical formula used to derive the actual power output of your amplifier. It is also what your amplifier can supply (or your speaker can take) continuously.

Watts root mean square is the effective value of alternating current electrical power compared to direct current power.

Peak power is nothing more than a marketing tool. Peak power is often measured under ridiculous conditions, such as 17 volt input to your amp, or just before the speaker catches on fire. I would ignore peak power ratings.

RMS means root mean square and watts means power.
Watts root mean square is the effective value of alternating current electrical power compared to direct current power.
RMS watts is meaningless, but we use that term as "an extreme shorthand" for power in watts calculated from measuring the RMS voltage.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.