I have a compaq CQ60 104TU laptop, my previous harddrive crashed and i has an external 500GB hardrive lying around. So, I opened it up and took the Harddrive out and inserted into my laptop.

When I am trying to load windows into it I get the error

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu

I have a InsydeH2O Setup Utility
Inside the BIOS the options available to me are:-

**Main**
   ->System Time
    ->System Date
   ->Diagonistic Log

**Security**
   ->Administrator Password <clear>
   ->Power-On Password <clear>

**Diagonistics**
   ->Primary Hard Disk Self Test
   ->Memory Test

**System Configuration**
   ->language <English>
   ->Processor C6 states <Enabled>
   ->Fan always on <enabled>
   ->Boot Options->

**Exit**

Note:- In the BIOS Reverting back to Defaults did not work. I have already tried that

Please could you help me repair my laptop.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

before you took the drive out of the external case you should have hooked it to a working computer and in windows disk manager you should have formatted the drive and set it active ,try that and see if it make a difference

before you took the drive out of the external case you should have hooked it to a working computer and in windows disk manager you should have formatted the drive and set it active ,try that and see if it make a difference

I had already done it beofre switching... i used diskpart to make the drive primary, and then active before i installed it.. doesn't work..

I looked up the web and looked at a few threads, some said about unlocking the bios, but i have absolutely no clue as to how to unlock the BIOS.

This is the link to my BIOS. If you could unlock the bios, or give me some other option to make things work i would really appreciate it.

Click Here

been fixing and playing with computer for about 15 yrs now and have never heard of having to unlock the bios to add a different harddrive ,I have 2 sometime 3 different harddrive with different OS installed on them that I put into my own laptop,and have never had a problem install a new drive into it . ,sorry

What those posts actually said is to change the BIOS options from IDE to AHCI to enable SATA loading. BUt as i mentioned in my ealier post, The advanced options in the BIOS are not available for me to change the Settings, so when i googled on how to change that feature i came across the threads regarding the bios unlock. IS there any other method by which i can make my laptop work. Any help would be appreciated.

from IDE to AHCI to enable SATA loading

and again I have never had to do that with any computer [my own or customers ]to the best of my memory

set the dvd rom to be first boot in the bios ,maybe and try again

Thankyou, but that didn't work too... :(

what version of windows are you trying to install on it

windows7

windows 7 has sata drivers so the changing ide to sata setting would not apply to you ,it must be something else causing your error .are u using a genuine win7 dvd to do the install .
I don't think the cq60 came with win7 did it

no it didn't but i had initially purchased an original vista dvd and later purchased a win7 dvd. So authenticity of the software is not the issue.

You can try booting the external HD from external sources like from any other computer and insert insert into laptop and make it primary.

So authenticity of the software is not the issue.

that was not why I asked ,just trying to get a handle on what you are using to install windows.,

no worries.... :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.