Hey, I'm new to the forums but fairly experienced when it comes to computers.

I've got a Dell Dimension 8400 and a 2001FP monitor. When i boot the computer up, the video card's fan is spinning and the computer seems to power on fine... except for the fact that there is no image on the monitor.

The monitor itself acts as though it is connected to the computer while the computer is off. The light on the monitor normally remains yellow while the DVI cable is connected to the computer but the monitor is not powered on; because the yellow light is on, I assume that it is not the cable.

The computer seems to get into Windows because you have to hold the power button down to turn it off, which means that something is happening. However, I have a Logitech G15 and, while it is getting power, which I can tell because the num lock light is on, is nonresponsive. The LCD on the monitor doesn't work and the lock keys don't do anything.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks,
Jordan

Recommended Answers

All 68 Replies

Holding in the power button on the tower would work whether it was in Windows or not - although if it didn't work at all then that would point to a definite problem.

The yellow standby light means that - assuming the monitor is OK - it is not receiving a video signal from the computer. Does the monitor display "No Signal" if you disconnect it and turn it off and back on again?

The big question is: is it POSTing?

Did it used to make a beep when you turned it on? Is it doing that now?

If you disconnect everything from the machine and let it stand for a few minutes, then plug in just the mains cord and turn it on, what happens?

Fine, lights will probably come on (so the PSU isn't dead), but what else happens? Does the HDD light flicker for a minute or two as Windows loads?

If it does, how do you normally log in? Using TAB and the arrow keys (obviously having turned off and reconnected the keyboard and mouse) you can switch between user log ins and type 'blind' (you have to guess a little, but if you know your computer you can do it). If this succeeds you may hear the Windows sounds (plug speakers in, of course).

If it isn't POSTing then there is a problem.

What I had meant by holding down the power button was that, if you were not in Windows, you only had to tap the button to turn it off, but if it got into Windows, you had to hold it down for 10 seconds. Trying what you said now.

EDIT:

Okay, I tested it. The hard drive is definitely showing the normal activity that it does when it is loading Windows. It seems like Windows is loaded but there's just no image. Also, I swapped in a different keyboard and it worked fine. So it seems to me like it's a GPU failure.

I'd agree. Do you have a spare card to test?

(Note: When you reply, post a new message in the thread rather than edit your original, because that way those involved get a notification :))

I don't have any spare PCI express cards lying around. I'll see if I can find one tomorrow and get back to you. The only other thing that I could think of is that somehow the BIOS got reset and is loading the OS using the integrated graphics, but that doesn't seem like it's very probable.

This problem just seems a little weird because the video card was lighting up and the heatsink's fan was spinning.

Thanks for the help,
Jordan

What card is it? It's not a Radeon, is it?

Hello, I have the same issue with my PC. It shows no signal on the monitor. I swapped the Video card with a different one and I have swapped the monitors as well, but the issue is still there. Any ideas where else the issue can be?

thx

I think it's the motherboard. I have the same problem..

I have the same problem with my IBM Thinkpad Monitor. Computer turns on but the monitor remains black.

It is not the monitor that is the problem in my case. I have tried with several. But a black monitor can come from many problems, you just have to replace all components in your PC, one component at the time, til you find what is causing the problem. For example, try the RAM-sticks one by one (if you have two or more), try replacing the graphics card, etc.

hi
i hav a samsung m40 laptop and it has the sam problem the power light turns on and makes a bit of noise then no noise and still just a blank screen. appreciate any advice

I have the same problem of my pc turning on and no image. Since this started I have difficulty turning it off. Before I just had to touch it, now I have to pump the button.

Yea i just built my own pc, All new parts apart from the Motherboard,everything Seems to power up all the lights,fans and sounds appear normal. I tried various PSU's,Ram and Graphics cards...still a black screen.So i give up im taking it to the shop today and ill let you guys know what the problem is..it looks like it could be the motherboard...Good bye money :( lol

Hi Mattpc and welcome to Daniweb.
You have hijacked an old thread (Apr 27th, 2009). Check and ensure that the RAM is seated well, try only one stick in a different slot.
If you need more help, post back with more details about the machine you built, motherboard, cpu, memory, etc your OS and more details, lights, sounds, fans?

Yea im at work at the moment and can't remember the motherboard off by heart,But im running a AMD athlon x4 620 2.6ghz cpu,4gb of dual channel A-adata XGP 1066 Ram a nvida 8600GT 256MB Graphics card and a 500GB western sata HDD plus an old ide 80 GB one and a 500W PSU also 2 LED fans,As you can tell im not that experienced with PC's yet this is my first build.The OS is windows 7

Its in at the shop at the moment but i will tell you what they tell me,As ive searched this problem all over the net...it seems rather common but also could be many different things :(.

Hi Mattpc and welcome to Daniweb.
You have hijacked an old thread (Apr 27th, 2009). Check and ensure that the RAM is seated well, try only one stick in a different slot.
If you need more help, post back with more details about the machine you built, motherboard, cpu, memory, etc your OS and more details, lights, sounds, fans?

Hi again,
I should have said start your own thread. So this time, if you need help when your machine come back from the shop, Start your own thread please.

Try hooking up to an external monitor...you will have to switch to external using ctrl - F not sure which one for your laptop.....

I had the exact same problem while I was trying to turn on the computer i built for my younger brother. I also feared that it was a motherboard problem, however, It turned out that one of the 2, 2GB RAMs we had bought was faulty. The problem was solved by removing the defective RAM module and leaving only the one that works.

Good luck.

What are the dell diagnostic lights, 4 lights on the back panel. showing when you try and boot up

Im also having the same problem and I have bought a new MOBO, ram and changed the psu but im still not getting any display. please help.

Hi
I test my desktop computers with this

http://www.1powershop.com/en/computer-networking/post-4-pc-isa-pci-diagnostic-card-analyzer-test-probe.html

I have the same problem with my computer shows a black picture of the screen and the device made the mistake

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/8619/pcanalyzer.jpg

cod: 13 Video display is disabled port-B is initialized. Chipset init about to begin.

This is motherboard in onboard video but i test in external it`s not work
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P4VM800&s=478

Is there a way to solve this problem
Thank you

Computer is on but no image in the monitor

In hindsight, maybe what is just needed here is to replace the monitor and buy a new one. Maybe it's really the monitor that has defects.

i have a pc that shows no picture on the monitor. Have tried different monitor but still no picture what can be the problem should i buy a new video card

yes the monitor light does go green then back to orange. it still has no picture no matter what i have changed the monitor to one i know works.

what about when you have a laptop

i am having the exact problem as pretty much everyone on this thread. everything seems fine gpu runs normally and the hdd seems to be working like normal on start up HOW EVER my keyboard and mouse are completely un-responsive the same as the monitor its like they arent even plugged in. i have tried 2 different monitors and 2 different keyboard and mouse's in every usb slot. this sounds like a motherboard problem does it not?

I am having the same problem. I have a Compaq with a Hp monitor. Up until this afternoon everything was working fine. Then the monitor went blank but I could still hear the game I was playing in the background, just not see it. I hook up the computer to another monitor and it stayed on. Then I decided to hook it up to my tv and it worked fine for a while then it went blank and said unsupported device. I cut off the computer and when I cut it back on it did a scan of my NTIF file (I think) it said nothing was missing or wrong, do you think the problem is fixed or do I need to just go out and buy another computer. Will setting it back to factory settings help me any?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.