Hi all,

I'm finally signing up for Ad Sense & I'm kind of confused by the 2 options....

Select AdSense for content if you want to run ads targeted to the content of your site.

Select AdSense for search to provide web and (optionally) site search to your users. Results pages are monetized with targeted Google ads.

The first one is self explanatory.

Is the 2nd one just a search bar & when someone uses it & then clicks on a site from that search you get paid?

Also I remember someone telling me that you can make sure your competition doesn't show up in option #1.

How do you do that?

Thanks & Happy Easter everyone :)

Michelle

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hi Michelle.

Also I remember someone telling me that you can make sure your competition doesn't show up in option #1.

How do you do that?

Here's a link that will tell you how to do this:
https://www.google.com/adsense/urlfilter

Unfortunately you need to know who your competition is before you can block them, but you can start with the web address's of your biggest competitors and add to the list as you get to know who else is competing for the same business.

Select AdSense for search to provide web and (optionally) site search to your users. Results pages are monetized with targeted Google ads.

Is the 2nd one just a search bar & when someone uses it & then clicks on a site from that search you get paid?

From the google page:
https://www.google.com/support/adsense/bin/answer.py?answer=9879&topic=144

AdSense for search is for publishers who wish to provide web search for their users, directly from any web page. AdSense for search results pages use Google's search to provide relevant results, and the search results pages are customizable to fit with your site's theme. In addition, results pages are monetized with Google ads that are targeted to the user's query - providing useful information for the user, and a new revenue stream for publishers.

This is how I understand this works:

Adsense: Random slected keywords are used to generate adds.

Adsense Search: The adds that are generated are based on the search terms used.
The advantage of using the Adsense Search facility is that the adds are going to be in relation to the content your users are searching for.

This can be useful as sometimes the google adsense progam scans for key words but can not read them in the context that they were meant, as such google adsense can associate a key word with a completely wrong product.

Example: My Aunt is studying for a European Driving Licence.

There is no context, so you and the google bot would be forgiven for assuming I am referring to some kind of Automotive licence rather than a computer course offered throughout the UK and other parts of europe.
As such the adsense adds may contain adds for driver tuition.

If that page went on to say something like:

...so I needed to install a dual boot system so that I could have Ubuntu for my use and Windows for my Aunts course.

If someone searched for dual boot on this fictional site, google would find dual boot on this page, and would associate an add for this search - this would produce an add for something like VMware - a product that allows you to run many OS's at the same time - This product is very useful for people with multi boot systems. Using the Adsense Search facility has generated an add that is genuinely useful to the readers of that content.

Ok, so that may have been a little over the top, but hopefully it is understandable.

Steveneven

Thanks for that. Much appreciated, but unfortunately they rejected me :(

I wish I had known they don't accept any adult style sites even though I don't consider mine adult.

I see they take my money w/ PPC no problem though LOL

Does anyone know of any other AdSense style program I can use to replace the AdSense?

Thanks & have a great wknd.

Michelle :)

There's www.contextweb.com ... www.clicksor.com ... basically just do a google search for contextual advertising. Yahoo! is also getting ready to release their own AdSense competitor, so that should be rolled out fairly soon. Don't know / think if you'd have any better luck getting accepted into Yahoo! than you had with Google. Good luck.

Checkout BidVertiser They are very similar to Adsense and is also frequently used like Adsense

Are you actually using BidVertiser? If so, can you comment on the pay-per-click rates and ad variety? I've tried a few alternative contextual programs but found them to have a poor advertisers selection and thus poor rates.

Are you actually using BidVertiser? If so, can you comment on the pay-per-click rates and ad variety? I've tried a few alternative contextual programs but found them to have a poor advertisers selection and thus poor rates.

Bidvertiser works a little different then Adsense it pays for click generated through your website yes but it does not base the amount you earn per click on how many clicks you generate from your site.

For example with adsense if you have a 2.5% click through rate you may make $10 total on 100 clickthroughs

With bidvertiser as long as the click is legitimate (not you just clicking your links to make money) you get a set amount of money it is based on the amount of money the advertiser paid to advertise with bidvertise i have gotten 2.50 from one click before with bidvertiser.

But i have also gotten a few adds that only paid .69 per click

so it is dynamic but alltogether less annoying then the formula Google uses

With regards to the add variety it is pretty diverse it does not base the adds on the content of your site however so you may get an add for car wax on a gaming site for example.

All in all if you get accepted for Bidvertiser i think you will be happy with the results.

Hmmm, I kind of wanted the common theme thingy b/c I do click on AdSense ads when I am on other people's sites b/c they are relevant to what I'm seeking.

Oh well, I guess I can't be picky at this point, but I'll see what my VA comes up w/ based on the list I've compiled :)

Thanks

Michelle

Hello friend,

I am a newbie in internet marketing.

How to get traffic to our sites with google adsense ads? What steps you've taken to get traffic to your adsense sites?

I seek your kind and valuable suggestoins.

Thank you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.