I started a social network and it's pretty nice if I do say so but of course I get no traffic and very few sign ups.

Any ideas on how to get lots of people to my new social network?

It has no niche, just that it's global.

Recommended Answers

All 48 Replies

Playing devil's advocate here ...

If it has no niche, then WHY would someone join your social network, over say Facebook? Does it have super unique features that you can't possibly find anywhere else? Are there people talking on it right now? What reason would someone like me have for signing up to an empty site about randomness where there's no one else to talk to? When I can instead spend my time interacting on a social network with millions of users who are going to read what I have to say and respond to me right away for instant gratification?

In short ...
Step one: Give people a reason why yours is better. There has to be SOMETHING different that can't be found anywhere else. DaniWeb, for example, is unique in that we encompass everything IT under one roof, and we group content together (news, discussions, tutorials, etc) within a single timeline.

Step two: Give people a reason to stay. DaniWeb gained popularity because myself and my friends constantly posted on the site day and night for a very long time. Slowly, other people chimed in, because they saw that there were people to talk to. And anytime anyone new joined, we all instantly started talking to them, giving them the instant gratification they wanted, even if we weren't big. Fake it till u make it -- We gave people the communication and answers they wanted just as detailed and just as fast as if we were a huge community. Slowly, we became one.

Better you can use some other social networking site to get exposure to your site. YOu can use facebook, twitter and myspace.

I know so true, the science of how sites gets popular. Thanks for the honesty, seems like nobody is straight forward anymore but that another topic lol.

I definably agree that other social networks are a great way to market for mine. Good idea!

"Also multi reply buttons on the posts at daniweb would be nice ;) "

Despite my criticism remarks, don't let that stop you or discourage you. Just tweak as you go until you come up with something great.

i would like to recommend you to go to facebook, orkut and LinkedIn.com kind of social networking website. with best profile which make interest to people. and it will increase your traffic.

i would like to recommend you to go to facebook, orkut and LinkedIn.com kind of social networking website. with best profile which make interest to people. and it will increase your traffic.

Interesting, thanks!

Dude Can u tell me ur social newwork i will join and ask mi frnds to join you as well..

I started a social network and it's pretty nice if I do say so but of course I get no traffic and very few sign ups.

Any ideas on how to get lots of people to my new social network?

It has no niche, just that it's global.

Try advertising it on the Facebook if you have money, Else just do email marketing... I think this is how Facebook became famous among people.

Dude Can u tell me ur social newwork i will join and ask mi frnds to join you as well..

Thanks, I guess they can remove it if they do not like the link: http://www.worldlypeople.com and http://www.pageranked.com

Both are new and have some people, but get very little new sign ups.

One is a news sharing network and the other is a world social network with no niche other then to be honest and open minded.

I guess you to join massmailservers for getting Unlimited Traffic.

Huh what is this? I would not do any spam if it's similar.

You can use other top social networks for promotion like facebook.

Glad this is being discussed. I recently started my own social network- www.socialgration.com and I am also looking for a way to generate traffic and sign ups. I paid a company to create a really nice video for youtube http://youtu.be/hCMNU6rjMw8 explaining our site and hired a professional copy writer to write a press release for us.The video has been on youtube for a couple of weeks and there has been not much traffic but I will have to just be patient and let it happen naturally. But if anyone on here has a good idea on ways to generate "user sign-ups" I'm all ears! We have a niche and a great concept so please check it out and lets continue to keep the good dialouge going. It can benefit all of us.

Sincerely
Technoking

I hope your site gets that little notch that you need to start driving a lot of business to your site, and hopefully it turns out to be the next Facebook! Good luck to you in the future, and the present!

Please use Best Social Networking Sites Like Facebook, Twitter, Google + etc.

Hi... I can totally empathise, doing the whole online marketing thing and paying a fortune for it...
But hope it pays off... And yes as some1 pointed out a niche is key
I'm also open to suggestions... My site is www.affairs247.com
All welcome, it's free :)

i think you go with other social networks and share your links with your post also join the fb group and share your post regularly there i think that's way you get good result

Hello,

According to me you should join an affiliate marketing program for the promotion of your social network; these affiliate programs generate a considerable traffic to any social networking site. Also affiliate marketing is a popular secondary source of income generation for many online business owners. If you have a website then it will attract traffic.
When you decide to take your pick of products or services to promote, you need to ensure the companies you link up to are relevant to the content you offer at your site.
Once you decided which type of company suits your website then you can get affiliate links. For further details go to:
Retailers website
Online vendors
Affiliate Networks
For more detailed information about affiliate programs visit http://www.openwebsitetutorials.com/948/how-to-find-an-affiliate-program-to-promote/

Now people join something which have uniqueness and better features than other social media like facebook.

i created a new social network in jan of 2013 called hit me up reason we called it hit me up is because over 85,000 kids on facebook use the status update each day. at that time we had 4,186 members but a way we just started to get new members is putting the fb like button and fb comment on the site now when are members comment on our site activity it post on there fb wall saying so and so just commented on hit-me-up.org and who else commented on that also will get a notifacation on facbook so that has worked well for us try that or seo is also a great way we started a few months ago were now on page 1 for a few of our big keyword to bring in over 100,000 hits a month but there in the middle of google page one we will not benifit from that till we reach top rankings

Member Avatar for Everyauction

@technoking

You have made a very nice movie, but still, you are against the odd's, your Site is loading so slow, it's unbelievable. Technically, you use another Facebook PHP Clone Software. Just like uncounted numbers of others, worldwide. the newest Posting on your Site seems to have been made 31 days ago..., and one has to rgister with full data just to see the what's going on inside...

You are addressing 'Facebook' Customers. But they are on Facebook, because everybody they know is on Facebook too. Why should they have any reason to invest a lot of time again on some unknown platform, offering nothing exept some simple copy of what they use in a professional system already...

I am affraid you are waisting your time. At least as long as you have nothing but a FB Clone. But if you can make it to be part of some kind of a 'Site Package', and offer your Service more to a local or regional clientele, it may be possible to get some visitors. At least, if you organize it as you have made your 'Promo' Movie. Then, you may...

Ernie

Member Avatar for LastMitch

I think word of mouth still works. Telling friends and relative is consider word of mouth.

Hello technoking you should remove recaptincha and let the spammer come in and create at least 25 thousands blog of course you would need to offer that service once they the Spam bot do its thing Google will index it in the search however the relevance will be low, however, people will stop by.

Make sure to cap it to around 10 or 15 thousands blogs or cause, then put the recaptcha again in my third month I had just about as much as you. Then the spammer blessed me and cursed me lol as of last year 63 thousand bogs, 2 million visitors. Some are not real, there crawlers from Google and Spam bots if you want I can put a link on my front page so as to send you some activity Remember disable your recapcha I hope this helps, you can visit my site

Hello technoking you should remove recaptcha and let the spammer come in and create at least 25 thousands blogs, or causes. Once the Spam Bots do its thing Google will index it in the search the relevance will be low, however, people will stop by anyways, and then you can make your pitch.

Make sure to cap it to around 10 or 15 thousands blogs or cause, then put the recaptcha again in my third month of my latest social network I had just about as much member as you have. The spammer has blessed me and cursed me lol as of last year 63 thousand blogs, 2 million visitors. Some are not real, there crawlers from Google and Spam bots if you want I can put a link on my front page so as to send you some activity, Remember disable your recaptcha I hope this helps.

Another idea is to pass out flyers and posters I find passing out flyers eight times more effective. Also write on every single dollar to your website name I find this very effective. Also radio, with my connection I was able to get a shout out I'm going to do it again soon this could benefit you too.

If I put your link on my front page you will need Microsoft translate widget, you’ll want to have it on automatic so as to have visitors not click any buttons it reads IP Address Country or origin.

Do not go all out putting Posters on tress do very little of it I've done it for a year it’s not that effective so press the flesh.

Just want to know can you code write are you a programmer?

I love the concept but what makes your social network standout in terms of product, for instants Twitter has mirco blogging with hashtag if my memory serve me correctly hashtag was never really mentioned in there promo video, do you have unspoken tools no one else has or innovated an old idea as Twitter has?

I’ve been to your site its cool when I have a cause I will join

My website has a niche. It's an online community for sharing travel experiences! Check it out and tell me what you think: smallmap.com

ppc,seo,forum and lastly offline is the best process to promote yor social media site.

facebook and google plus is best site for make popular of website.Pinterest is also famous social media website where we can share image of website.

Asc wr wb all asxbta

Try to find people those who interested in your service and then send invitation either by group or individual request. After getting enough presence share your content like text content,image,video or links to people frequently. If they attracted they will automatically come to your network to view your updates.

Hello,

It's not easy to get people in your website, if Google plus can't, it must be not easy !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.