So much of SEO advice around the internet, well what I've found anyway, is based on bloggers or people with content heavy sites. This is making it a little hard to find what I'm after.

I can't see websites like Amazon, eBay, DaniWeb even, following this kind of SEO.

So the question is, how do websites that provide more of a service, particularly sites where the user comes to do something instead of reading something, perform SEO (offsite) and marketing?

Can anyone share some knowledge (perhaps Dani herself?), and try to avoid mentioning paid advertising please -- it's something I want to avoid.

raajvengadesan commented: 2 +0

Best and free way to advertise and do SEO for your website is by providing back links from other websites that can offer this services for free.

There are lots of way

Classfied ads
crate website page in facebook
Put link to other site.

commented: classified ads are for free? +1

you can also use linkedin and twitter.

1.u can use links of other popular sites
2.use key words
3.advertising in google+,facebook,twitter,linkdin and ...

keywords, optimization and viral course, equally important are these factors.

"So the question is, how do websites that provide more of a service, particularly sites where the user comes to do something instead of reading something, perform SEO (offsite) and marketing?"

This answer the topic of the post: people come to that site to do something. So they are in need of that site and also know that site ( so that they could go ).
When you are at big level the terms of seo change.

This is way i am going to try this.

much ways... for link building...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.