Forum signatures have long been believed to have some value with regard to SEO and targetted anchor text. There's a great thread on search engine watch http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/showthread.php?t=2922&page=1&pp=20 that goes into a lot of detail.

Personally I don't think they have much value (I believe that 100 links from a site is not much more use than 5 links from the same site) but I do believe they have some value.

Recommended Answers

All 69 Replies

Thanks for the read. Just to add, I have noticed that when I post in forums with my signature, those sites appear in DaniWeb's google backlinks :)

That's Interesting.

But Why forums usually donot allow to post links in text, but in Signature only?

I added some posts on Government Community sites, with .GOV extension, and they are not shown in my backlinks yet.

SNIP

I have just added a Signature and it doesn't appear on my old Posts.

Besides, i can see, links in Signature are No-Follow. Means no SEO Juice for us here? or it is still helpful in any way?

They do have value especially when you post on dofollow forums and become an active member in it. And if the forum is bsout your niche, you can get more.

forum signatures are not bad
they are counted as backlinks
and you can get many real visitors

Basically forum signature is used for good back links and good traffic. It always works for me.

commented: Traffic can be true but have no value as back link due to rel="nofollow" +0

You can get the benefit from the signature of your targeted keywords and that is what important part in forum while you use it.

Yes, you are right, If you can get forums signatures from your niche related sites, that will carry more value than getting links from off niche sites. However, if the links are dofollow, those have good value compare to a nofollow link :D

forum signatures are not bad for getting backlinks

I have just added a Signature and it doesn't appear on my old Posts.

Besides, i can see, links in Signature are No-Follow. Means no SEO Juice for us here? or it is still helpful in any way?

Any link from nofollow tag only help in increasing traffic.

i don't think they help lot in ranking but i get backlinks in Google for my site keywords.

yes I agree with that forum signature are not bad, but depends on you how you use them.........

It's pretty straight forward. If there are 100 links and the PR is 2. You get PR2 divide by 100 links. Actual calculation is multiply by another 0.85. That is the reason why forum links weightage is not that high compared to blogs.

However, with social sites, most of them are nofollow and have even more links. Widgets and apps actually drive up the number of links on that page, making them too saturated.

i am also agree with you.

Even with Daniweb, some forum signatures are taken as links and some are not.

Forum posting is good way of link building of long term.It is increased traffic on web site.Because we are doing many types activities of seo as link building,directory submission,article submission etc, it is provide us traffic on website...........

Link Building

Thanks

Best regards

I believed forum signature gives points to backlinks, specially, when you post to a forum that has the topic related to your targeted keyword.

yes you are right.... In SEO for forum the Signature is the best thing.

Personally my view, the value of backlinks from sebah signature is not big, but you can give another touch by adding a link that rotate.

Forum posting should be seen as one tool in a toolbox. Blog commenting and article posting also help. The problem lies in having 100 signature links from one site as opposed to 1 signature link from 100 sites...

I think that the links are links, signature links are not excluded from that. Right now, Google have this choice mechanism linking makes the value of a site or not. If the post with the link of signature is displayed in a relevant thread, I believe that it will give a value on it. It is my opinion..

Forum Signatures are very much beneficial for ranking your site in Google. The more the signatures will be posted in different sites, The more are the chances to get raise in positioning of your site because Google will treat this as a back link.

They do have value especially when you post on dofollow forums and become an active member in it. And if the forum is bsout your niche, you can get more.

most of the signature links in forums are noflollow, it is effective only increase traffic, not good for Google

Practically it gives less impact on my websites. I don't spend more time on forum posting.

Forum signature is one of an essential part of search engine optimization.

Practically it gives less impact on my websites. I don't spend more time on forum posting.

I don't know Why You are saying this, But I don't agree with you that forum are only the waste of time. Its very excellent platform of discussing the topics related to terms you are having any doubt as well as this gives a lot of back links and by this way you are getting very much link popularity.

Even if signature links are nofollowed, they have some value. Google will still investigate them but won't pass on any link authority. This helps draw Google's attention to your site even if rankings won't improve directly, which can't be a bad thing.

forum signatures are not bad
they are counted as backlinks
and you can get many real visitors

I agree

I think Signature in forum is main thing for SEO.. because we get hyperlink from it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.