Can anyone advise what is the maximum number of text link ads to have on our <snip> Home Page without going down in page rank?

As of now we have a Page Rank of 4 and our Alexa rating is 285,000.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I wouldn't exceed 5 or so.

I don't think that there is a set number. It depends on so many factors, such as the length of the page and how many internal links you have on the page. Eight links to various references scattered within a long article are better than four links in a page footer that are obviously there just for SEO benefit.

Can anyone advise what is the maximum number of text link ads to have on our <snip> Home Page without going down in page rank?

As of now we have a Page Rank of 4 and our Alexa rating is 285,000.

Sounds like you are almost afraid of having search engine ads or maybe you think you'll get yourself entangled into one of those ever so mutating third party ad network thingies'?

Ads are friendly suggestions to offer your Internet visitor. Are they friendly, are they effective, tricksters, even legal?

... and a rant about PR values ... What is a PR4 web page? How does a PR4 web page compare to a PR0 web page or a PR10 web page in the search engine results pages for competitively searched keyphrases? Check yourself and determine the merit of judging and implementing an SEO strategy dictacted by the performance of a little green bar that measures something almost incidental and offers the drooling link masses ratings 0 to 10 or greyed out .. a kind of perverse contest ... and the bunch of link builders go nuts ... outpowering each other PR point for point for link and link ... and the search engine ... perpetuating SEO fables ...

Sounds like you are almost afraid of having search engine ads o maybe you think you'll get yourself entangled into one of those ever so mutating third party ad network thingies'?

Ads are friendly suggestions to offer your Internet visitor. Are they friendly, are they effective, tricksters, even legal?

... and a rant about PR values ... What is a PR4 web page? How does a PR4 web page compare to a PR0 web page or a PR10 web page in the search engine results pages for competitively searched keyphrases? Check yourself and determine the merit of judging and implementing an SEO strategy dictacted by the performance of a little green bar that measures something almost incidental and offers the drooling link masses ratings 0 to 10 or greyed out .. a kind of perverse contest ... and the bunch of link builders go nuts ... outpowering each other PR point for point for link and link ... and the search engine ... perpetuating SEO fables ...

Thanks canadafred.

We seem to be doing alright, even with just a PR4 rating - on a decent day we can attract around 10,000 page views, which I don't think is too bad as the site was only started as a hobby about 18 months ago.

Ideally, I wouldn't carry any advertising at all, but the site is taking up an ever-increasing amount of my time and the rent has to be paid somehow!

Thanks canadafred.

We seem to be doing alright, even with just a PR4 rating - on a decent day we can attract around 10,000 page views, which I don't think is too bad as the site was only started as a hobby about 18 months ago.

Ideally, I wouldn't carry any advertising at all, but the site is taking up an ever-increasing amount of my time and the rent has to be paid somehow!

A web page to get to a PR4 doesn't require any external links; can get from PR0 to PR4 based on the on-site ranking factors alone, especially with a powerful, naturally evolving and consistent internal linking structure.

Gotta' pay the rent somehow.

Hi,

In my own experiences, some outbound links to niche relative authority sites would be helpful for SEO purpose. While, having too many text ads on your homepage might put your sites in trouble with selling links suspicion.

all the best,

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.