I noticed my site doesn't have any page rank (PR). I noticed, MSN.com is pretty good to my site, however not on Google. How can I improve my PR? Is Google the only one who cares about PR? For MSN, I didn't have to do any backlinks. If Google requires it, how can I get backlinks other than doing link exchange?

RockDavid commented: If you're willing to increase the PR of your website, focus on creating high quality backlinks. +0

Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

add your link to directories, buy text links also create a link exchange directory in your website, write articles and add your website link in the artlicle, make a link to us page on your website, this will help increase your google page rank.

try metatags with many of the same keywords eg.
chooselinux.org has keywords as

linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux linux

and it seems to work as its the closest thing when someone searches "linux" then it brings up the most words with that lookup

From what I've been hearing for a very long time, Google actually gives penalties for duplicate keywords.

From what I've been hearing for a very long time, Google actually gives penalties for duplicate keywords.

Thats true and besides google and other major search engines no longer give any importance to meta tags its the on page keywords that count the most.

rufryder: why do you want more PR is the key question?

Using metatags as suggested by amd_sucks have not worked since the 90's.
Just a waste of time.

Google will draw snippets from the meta description tag if on page content text be found (flash sites, etc).

Meta tags are a good to put keyword mispellings. You don't want your user to see them, but it may help organically with some engines...

The proper black hat term is called "keyword stuffing" :)

~ Google & MSN`s Indexing way is a lot different. lot of new webmasters like MSN `cause of this :P .

~ The PR is a tool by Google to determine a value of website. The more the links from high PR website the more is your PR . unfortunately spamming does help . If you have a single link from a PR 9 site you might get a PR 6 or 7 . and even if u get 100`s of PR 0 or 1 site, it won`t do much good.

~ If it`s a new site it will probably have a SAND BOX effect. `cause for Google "OLD is Gold" :) .

The higher the PR of pages that link to you, the more weight they carry towards your PR ... but a link from a PR9 isn't going to give you an instant 7 ... you really need a couple of them, and they need to be contant (static over a long time period and not just featured for a day or week).

But yeah ... google likes long established sites ... Weirdly enough, I have NEVER had ANY luck with MSN, or any other non-Google search engine, for that matter.

rufryder,

It seems that you have a PR2 as of the last update with 16 IBLs showing in Google.

Using metatags as suggested by amd_sucks have not worked since the 90's.

Although the major search engines don't give much, if any, creedence to the keyword metatag, the description metatag does have value. The search engines use it to display your description in the listings. Without it your description in the listings might well be just a snippit of sentences that contain the keywords. And Yahoo does give it value in terms of keywords. Although SEO is fine, and a good way to achieve decent SERPs, first and foremost remember that you should be making web pages for people and not search engine spiders.

and they need to be constant (static over a long time period and not just featured for a day or week).

They need to be there long enough for Google to spider them. You get instant credit for the links at that point. When they go away you lose the credit. Remember that the toolbar is just a reflection of the current amount and value of the IBLs at the time of the toolbar update.

Hi,

Google defines the PageRank as below

PageRank extends this idea by not counting links from all pages equally, and by normalizing by the number of links on a page. PageRank is defined as follows:We assume page A has pages T1...Tn which point to it (i.e., are citations). The parameter d is a damping factor which can be set between 0 and 1. We usually set d to 0.85. Also C(A) is defined as the number of links going out of page A. The PageRank of a page A is given as follows:

PR(A) = (1-d) + d (PR(T1)/C(T1) + ... + PR(Tn)/C(Tn))

Note that the PageRanks form a probability distribution over web pages, so the sum of all web pages' PageRanks will be one.

The best way to build your PR, once the search eninges know you exist, is to add lots of original articles to your site and linking to them from the homepage or another topics page. Also, adding articles from other sources can add additional content too, but always keep a large amount of orginal content posting on your site. This can be done by building pages onto your site about keyword phrases like "finding a purse in New York City" if your site is targeting purse buyers. Or creating blog entries about various subjects related to your site theme. Of course you have to go out and 'acquire' good links into your site and add new ones regularly from various sources with decent to good PR. Title tag of each page is most important in my opinion, make sure it mentions popular keyword phrases and then rementioning it on the page is good, but not necessary. The more pages of original content you add, the more possible rankings you can achieve with your site. My opinion is to point most inbound links to your homepage and then get into deep-linking to other topic pages in your site that link to additional pages. That's my 2 cents...

Following eqation I suggeste which has been very helpful indeed :-

"Focussed website content + Ethical SEO practices + Link building with good relvant website sites"

Getting crazy for too much Page rank is not required really and does help really .I have seen many websites where just by increasing the Page Rank factor alon their search enigines position has not improved.Quality and theme of the websites with appropriate anchor text makes the difference .

SEO need patience and hard work .There is nothing like magic or short cut for overnight success.

Regards,
Ajay

Having some links pointing into the inner-pages of your site is good as well, known as "Deep Linking".

Everyone linking to the domain home all the time could end up being recognized as unnatural.

Following eqation I suggeste which has been very helpful indeed :-

"Focussed website content + Ethical SEO practices + Link building with good relvant website sites"

Getting crazy for too much Page rank is not required really and does help really .I have seen many websites where just by increasing the Page Rank factor alon their search enigines position has not improved.Quality and theme of the websites with appropriate anchor text makes the difference .

SEO need patience and hard work .There is nothing like magic or short cut for overnight success.

Regards,
Ajay

Excellent job Ajay. GLad to see there are others out there.

My site just went from 4 --> 3 and I have no idea why. But sales are good and uniqs are growing every day.

So whats the moral of the story?

Give me a PR0 that makes money and I will take the PR into the bathroom with me........

As it stands for now, Google generates a hell of a lot more traffic than MSN for example so PR is important in that respect at least. Also when exchanging links many people will check the PR of your page before they agreee. I dont necessarily advocate that view, but it's the way it is for a lot of potential link exchangers out there. Anyway, general ethical SEO practices will increase your exposure on all the SE's as well as your PR - which is only changed when Google decides to perform an update, so you're at their mercy on that one no matter how much work you do - patience is key, so dont go overboard with any SEO practices or you'll be going into spam world.

I am back to PR4 overnight hehehe

All I was saying that was people weigh in PR alot mor ethen they have to.

It is really a marketing tool to sell links more then an accurate gauge. Again just my opinion. But PR0 sites can still make a ton of money. By rights it will eventually increase the PR just by default because more people will visit.

But I am just saying that if your content is so great and you get 10 visitors and 10 sales and you have zero back links or exchanges PR is not going to change much, yet you have a successful site.

I have a question about PR.
The google search engine if take the user preference into account?
For example, If everyone both click the second place website which the feedback from google search engine when type certain keyword.
Eventually, Is it possible that the second place website rise to 1st place?
How?The pagerank equation seems not concern about user preference, right?Just take the backlink as consider?

If anyone know it?Please share your knowhow.
Thank you so much.:cheesy:

Improving Your Page Rank on Google

1. Get Those Inbound Links
Since Google ranks your pages according to the number of links pointing at your page, it stands to reason that you should try to get as many links pointing at your pages as possible. This is so obvious that I'm only mentioning it for completeness sake.
2. Your Title Tag
Google seems to give weight to the title of your page. By title, I mean the text that is sandwiched between the HTML <TITLE> tags in the <HEAD> section of your web page. If you use a Web editor that automatically inserts a title like "New Page", remember to change it to some meaningful text with your keywords inside to reap the benefit of this feature.
3. Content-Laden Pages (Keyword Density)
It has often been observed that Google considers keyword density a large factor in ranking pages in search engine results, more so than many other search engines. You can read more about keyword density and how you can improve it on your pages from my other article, Improving Your Keyword Density for Search Engine Positioning, at http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/keyworddensity.shtml
4. Keyword-laden Links?
According to a paper published by one of Google's founders, if the links pointing to your page has the relevant keyword text in them, it will cause your page to be ranked higher in search engine results. For example, a link with the text "Cheap Shoe Store" pointing at your site will cause your site to be listed earlier if a visitor searches for "cheap shoe store" than if the link simply said "click here". You can find a copy of the paper online at http://www7.scu.edu.au/programme/fullpapers/1921/com1921.htm.

Improving Your Page Rank on Google
2. Your Title Tag
Google seems to give weight to the title of your page. By title, I mean the text that is sandwiched between the HTML <TITLE> tags in the <HEAD> section of your web page. If you use a Web editor that automatically inserts a title like "New Page", remember to change it to some meaningful text with your keywords inside to reap the benefit of this feature.

This will affect a page's rank but will have no affect on a page's pagerank as pagerank is only concerned with link popularity. I wanted to point that out just since the purpose of this thread is to discuss pagerank.

3. Content-Laden Pages (Keyword Density)
It has often been observed that Google considers keyword density a large factor in ranking pages in search engine results, more so than many other search engines. You can read more about keyword density and how you can improve it on your pages from my other article, Improving Your Keyword Density for Search Engine Positioning, at http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/keyworddensity.shtml

I think you might be the only person who thinks this. No where else have I even seen anyone suggest Google likes keyword density. Especially as much as MSN or even Yahoo. Not only that, but keyword density in general seems to be considered important by newer members into SEO then veterans.

the fast way , you may buy a backlink on High PR Blog or website. If you want backlink service you may contact me. I am sell Backlink on High PR Blog. If you interest please send to Private Message

Page rank is completely a term used only by Google,I think you're asking about ranking.Okay,to get page rank you'll have to get dofollow back links from high PR pages.

I agree it's a good to build quality links to your site pages from other well ranked sites on Google.

If you really want to have pr, you must to gather lots of backlinks. It's better if you can get backlinks from high pr sites.

You have to build traffic to your website. You can register your site in various web directories. Try to use more adwords

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Want to get-on Google's first page in 48 hours and flood your site with traffic?
Try Traffic Geyser, the internet's #1 video marketing software at Traffic Geyser

Hello,

There are many other ways of increasing quality Back Links such as Article Marketings,Social Book Marketing,Social Medial Marketing etc. I personally not giving importanace on PR Ranking. You just need to increase inbound links that it.

For more details visit http://bit.ly/b55Kpf

Thanks.

I noticed my site doesn't have any page rank (PR). I noticed, MSN.com is pretty good to my site, however not on Google. How can I improve my PR? Is Google the only one who cares about PR? For MSN, I didn't have to do any backlinks. If Google requires it, how can I get backlinks other than doing link exchange?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.