Would you add Facebook Connect as an option for members to sign in and share their activity on your site to their facebook wall? Or why not? As a user, I personally opt out of Facebook connect at times and prefer to sign in as a new member. Why? Well, let's say its a shopping site and I am buying something for a bride to be who happens to be one of my FB friends, I dont want her to know what I am buying, if its a surprise.
What are you your thoughts?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

There's nothing wrong with adding it as an option. As you so rightly said YOU have a choice which way to sign in. As a site owner you're making your site accessible to more users and potentially getting more marketing out of it.

Would you add Facebook Connect as an option for members to sign in and share their activity on your site to their facebook wall? Or why not? As a user, I personally opt out of Facebook connect at times and prefer to sign in as a new member. Why? Well, let's say its a shopping site and I am buying something for a bride to be who happens to be one of my FB friends, I dont want her to know what I am buying, if its a surprise.
What are you your thoughts?

Facebook is powerful.It is used more and more widely today.So i am agree with your suggestion.Adding facebook connect is convenient for our users.But you know it will cost the website a lot.

At the same time,i am worried about one thing. Is everyone could see the show before added a facebook connection?Don't worry.Please see the example here:

http://www.123flashchat.com/facebook-messenger-chat.html

How complicated is it for a site to add Facebook Connect? Is it a labor intensive process?

There's nothing wrong with adding it as an option. As you so rightly said YOU have a choice which way to sign in. As a site owner you're making your site accessible to more users and potentially getting more marketing out of it.

I think the more options the better. I actually found an add-on for WordPress that allows people to share the content from a WordPress page/blog in a while bunch of ways, some I am still investigating so that I can understand them better and possible find new channels to communicate through.

How complicated is it for a site to add Facebook Connect? Is it a labor intensive process?

It's not too difficult to add facebook connect to your site (although documentation could be better). It is more difficult to integrate the functionality and information e.g. someone looks onto your site through FB Connect and leaves a comment, you need to store the info of that user somewhere. Or if you want to setup a relationship between their local login and fbook login.

There is a lot of documentation, but it can be confusing without much knowledge of the facebook api.

Thanks for the clarification. I was consulted on a startup to use Facebook Connect since it helps bring people together via online sharing.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.