The Center for Media Research, in a brief released earlier this week, reported that a study by Ethos Business Law found that 51% of senior US executives (marketing, management and HR) fear social media could be bad for employee productivity while 49% say that social media could damage company reputation. But, these sames execs also said

• 81% believe social media can enhance customer/client relationships
  • 81% also agree it can build brand reputation
  • 69% view social networking as a potentialy valuable recruitment tool
  • 64% see social media as a strong customer service tool
  • 46% see it as a potential morale booster for employees

This report seems to indicate some serious indecision on the part of US execs. 72% say they personally visit social media sites weekly. As te builders and maintainers of online communities, can we do anything to assuage the fears of these execs.

The link to the report is
http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=112098

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

The uncontrolled and adhoc nature of the social networking sites is what can be fearful to those trying to establish brands, regular clients, etc. These type of services aren't geared towards business, so you're having to take a product designed for personal use and try to mold it into a business tool.

But the study is dead-on with what I see. People know the power of these sites. They just don't know how to use them. It's very easy for your brand and customer based to be diluted into the site itself, and then you only made facebook or someone else money.

The uncontrolled and adhoc nature of the social networking sites is what can be fearful to those trying to establish brands, regular clients, etc. These type of services aren't geared towards business, so you're having to take a product designed for personal use and try to mold it into a business tool.

But the study is dead-on with what I see. People know the power of these sites. They just don't know how to use them. It's very easy for your brand and customer based to be diluted into the site itself, and then you only made facebook or someone else money.

I agree with you but there are so many resources (books, websites, magazines, webinars, etc) that the business community will get up to speed quickly. Then I think you will see these numbers change drastically. Do you agree?

I agree with you and I already see it coming.

I try to be on the tail end of adoptation of these technologies, taking a 'wait and see' attitude. Bu I already have marketing plans that involve facebook, myspace, and twitter. They are just not the highest priority at the moment.

I agree with you and I already see it coming.

I try to be on the tail end of adoptation of these technologies, taking a 'wait and see' attitude. Bu I already have marketing plans that involve facebook, myspace, and twitter. They are just not the highest priority at the moment.

The beauty of them is that the smallest effort can bear fruit if you set them up properly. I have a twitter feed for one client and have them use tweetfeed so they are not on twitter all the time but they are constantly being updated. I have their facebook page setup like a referral site for their website and all e-mail and comment update e-mails go to a general mailbox that everyone accesses. Works for them with little effort.

The beauty of them is that the smallest effort can bear fruit if you set them up properly.

I totally agree with you, and the key thing is setting it up right. This takes time to figure out as you have to research the systems, figure out your goals and work on implementation plans as well as how they fit in with current workflow. Not the appropriate time for me right now.

Thanks MarketingRob for sharing those stats. I also liked how you used Facebook page as a referral page rather than just to put a facebook page for the heck of it. From those stats, I infer that though the productivity of employees in a company is affected, the value of a business having a social media presence and connection with customers overweighs the cost.

I totally agree with you, and the key thing is setting it up right. This takes time to figure out as you have to research the systems, figure out your goals and work on implementation plans as well as how they fit in with current workflow. Not the appropriate time for me right now.

And the other part is picking the right ones. Not all social media fits all businesses.

And the other part is picking the right ones. Not all social media fits all businesses.

Exactly. Too many people think, "oh everybody's on twitter, we need to be on there." But for a particular business model, like say construction, twitter would be useless. Now, facebook would work better for a construction company, but a more professional b2b type network would fit the bill even better. Things to think about...

Exactly. Too many people think, "oh everybody's on twitter, we need to be on there." But for a particular business model, like say construction, twitter would be useless. Now, facebook would work better for a construction company, but a more professional b2b type network would fit the bill even better. Things to think about...

I have a friend who is a contractor and I set him up with a Flikr account because Flikr, like Wordpress, allows you to set up a home page behind the main page. It works well for them because they just post up pictures and they only have to change the home page as needed.

I advise clients in regards to social media to pick 1 or 2 social media communities that will really help push the needle. That is it. Why? Well I believe in conserving time, energy, and resources and we all know that participating in social media for business reasons requires time and content nurturing.

...we all know that participating in social media for business reasons requires time and content nurturing.

We all don't. :D Lots of companies have proven that, lol.

We all don't. :D Lots of companies have proven that, lol.

Sadly true and sadder still is that some are my clients who have ignored my advice on these areas. All you can do is advise.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.