It has been discussed in previous threads and mentioned on social media and news sites that the drop off rate for twitter use is substantial. But usually the stories talk about the whole tweeting universe. I am curious to know if anyone was using twitter as part of a social media strategy to communicate with/within their communities and stopped? And if you did cease tweeting, why?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Just like any new fad ... I came, I saw, it entertained me for a little while, I got bored, I left.

Just like any new fad ... I came, I saw, it entertained me for a little while, I got bored, I left.

As an individual I think this is a very common reaction. But in terms of companies that officially engage in twitter campaigns and run multiple twitter feeds for different aspects of their businesses who have given it its due and decided to reallocate resources to other areas.

It has been discussed in previous threads and mentioned on social media and news sites that the drop off rate for twitter use is substantial. But usually the stories talk about the whole tweeting universe. I am curious to know if anyone was using twitter as part of a social media strategy to communicate with/within their communities and stopped? And if you did cease tweeting, why?

I don't like bird-seed, except for sunflower seeds. Anyone that can comfortably use terms like "twitter, tweets, twit, tweeting" etc. must be
a bird-brain.
And what's with this "follow" crap???
(my 2 seeds....er, cents)........

I don't like bird-seed, except for sunflower seeds. Anyone that can comfortably use terms like "twitter, tweets, twit, tweeting" etc. must be
a bird-brain.
And what's with this "follow" crap???
(my 2 seeds....er, cents)........

A tad bit hostile? Unfortunately you cannot escape the buzzwords but it it will make the thread more palatable for you I will ask all to use the terms micro-blogging and instead of follow please say subscribe. Hopefully the thread as a whole will not lay an egg! (bad joke but it had to be done)

A tad bit hostile? Unfortunately you cannot escape the buzzwords but it it will make the thread more palatable for you I will ask all to use the terms micro-blogging and instead of follow please say subscribe. Hopefully the thread as a whole will not lay an egg! (bad joke but it had to be done)

Good one.....I'm not really on a rant ......just can't hack the way our society is going.......(the same way as the old folks looked at us when we were teen-agers , I guess).....I'll back off.............

Correct me if im wrong but arent you using it at the moment? There is a whole forum devoted to them..

Yes ... and I have only been at it for two weeks. Give me a month and see if I'm still tweeting every three hours day and night.

And from a company perspective: They hopped onto the social media bandwagon because they were afraid they'd be left out in the dust if they didn't. Then they tried it and realized it was very time consuming and not worth the benefit or didn't bring enough traffic gain for the manpowers it consumed. So they gave up.

Happygeek is a really big tweetgeek :) I suspect he spends most of his time searching blogs.

First of all, I believe that tweeting attracts a certain type of behavioral profile of a person who enjoys constant updates on themselves and other information. From a business perspective, the endless stream of tweets may seem like an attractive way to "put it out there". My issue is that most people may not even be reading the tweets from an hour ago. It is like a soap bubble. It is ephemeral.

Hence, to answer your question after my soliloquy. Yes, I have actually started a few different twitter accounts, one for myself, one for a karma project, one for a web show I was doing, and one for my business. At the end, I noticed that even though I had so many followers in each group and I tweeted and tweeted, I just lost the novelty of it. I felt like Forrest Gump while he was running and realized, why is he doing this and just stopped.

Good one.....I'm not really on a rant ......just can't hack the way our society is going.......(the same way as the old folks looked at us when we were teen-agers , I guess).....I'll back off.............

No need to back off. Just welcoming you to the DaniWeb fold with a little good natured ribbing. I am in agreement with you in regards to the way society is going. If you want to see how far we have come there is a book of letters written by soldiers at war to their families back home. If you can find it check out the letters from the civil war. Men with one third the education of most people twittering and they wrote some of the most beautiful letters I have ever seen. We are losing the written word and the ability to express ourselves in elegant ways.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.