With social media being all the craze, and the growing popularity of Facebook groups and such, are forums dying? If so, what exactly is replacing them? Can social networking sites truly replace forums, and where is a happy medium?

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Hi @Dani,

Thanks for providing us such a lovely forum. I personally feel/think that forums has its own values.

Personally I had got help from many of Dani members, In the same way I also helped many of the Dani members to solve their problems.

I think that forums like Daniweb has its own value that can't be shared by any other social networking sites.

Hope that you will got my views.

Forums are needed as a resource for discussion because they can continue timelessly. The problem with social media is that everything happens too quick, too live. There's no time to clearly and accurately explain or digest complex ideas. There may be a happy medium somewhere in the Google+ making but that could never replace an intense and informative online forum discussion.

Hey Dani, we've had a couple of those over the years! Can't beat that. :)

I don't think forums are dying because of social media; from what I have seen, they are a poor substitute for the back-and-forth discussions that take place when somebody needs help with something. The groups on Facebook or LinkedIn simply do not offer that.

Are forums dying, period?
Perhaps some. I suspect there were simply too many forums in the first place. It was another thing for the admins to tinker with and learn about but, after the novelty wore off, they realized forums were more trouble than they were worth. Five years ago, I had several forums bookmarked. Now half of them have been replaced by blogs. The only interaction between users now is via the comments, which is a poor substitute for a proper forum.

Plus, it is getting harder to earn money online. People are using more ad-blockers and becoming "ad blind". Because the income a site can generate is shrinking, some forum admins are faced with the hard reality of paying for an ongoing hobby out of their own pockets. I am feeling the pinch myself. I had hoped my site would generate enough income to at least pay for its hosting, but that is a fading dream; traffic is going up but income is going down. I do not know what other way a site can generate income except for ads (paid memberships?). And if this avenue closes, I don't know how long I can fund a site out of my own pocket. I suspect many forum owners found themselves in a similar situation and decided to pull the plug.

So why is traffic to the surviving forums dying?
I can only speculate. Perhaps people are just getting bored.
(Speaking for myself,) whether I am in a Facebook group or a standalone forum, I encounter the same problems:
(i) all the questions seem to have been asked/answerered a million times before,
(ii) threads are started by spammers looking for exposure,
(iii) a post is so specific or subjective that nobody can offer a reasonable answer.
(iv) or, going to the other extreme, keeping up with the latest and greatest gadget/technology/techniques/etc. is getting tiring too. I am getting worn out trying to keep up with everything and, the truth is, I am kind of losing interest. I would like to focus on working with what I have now instead of constantly chasing the next fad.

So it is rare that I come across a discussion that I post in. Instead, I am making more of an effort to get away from the computer. Period.

I don't think that forum sites will die. Yes we know that social media sites are the for most of the websites nowadays but if you think of it, forums sites is not really far from Facebook groups. they are very common as their main goal is to communicate with other members. I even like forum as it is categorise according to what topic unlike Facebook groups that it is like a feed.

It is true that Google is aganist all the link schemes sites and does not prefer them, but they are not going to lose their all importance at once.

no dear i dont think that forums are dying these are the only to source to get the backlink and this is the only source in which you can get the traffic

hi,
i too dont think that the forums will dye because its the main way for discussion of any thing from anywhere.Nowadays forums are very helpful to clear their doubts..

I doubt forums like this one (technical, resources, ... ) will die out in favour of social media/networks.

those fora that are just about "hey, let's catch up" ... well, I've noticed a huge decline in some I used to visit, ever since Facebook came into the field: real time chat, personal wall, events, ... it has it all.

the problem with such pages is, the way it shows it's oversight. the page is too quickly "filled" and threads disappear from sight pretty fast.
it's possible to look up decent IT related questions on facebook groups, though personally, I wouldn't choose it over a forum like Daniweb. it's easier to search, and a lot easier to get an idea of whether a poster knows what he's talking about or not.

Forums won't die. They are too rich of a resource. Those that have broader ideas and need detailed and solid information will always use forums. Forums also provide a niche source where as social media while it can be narrorwed on the categories does not provide the same level of subject specific levels as forums do. Long live the forums.

Those that have broader ideas and need detailed and solid information will always use forums.

Will they still use forums if none of the good forums can fund themselves well enough to stay up?

Forums won't die. They are too rich of a resource.

I wouldn't say that, espicially about anything that is programmed/coded.

why some of the forums are getting died i dont know the reasons please clear me it

I agree. These are excellent statements:
"with social media everything happens too quick, too live. There's no time to clearly and accurately explain or digest complex ideas"
"The only interaction between users now is via the comments, which is a poor substitute for a proper forum."
"Those that have broader ideas and need detailed and solid information will always use forums. "

Hi Dani,
I don't think so...
Forums are still at those place only,
The social media are only for private groups and friends...
Take as for example: your Forum, one of leading forum...
And I really feel good when i think thati am member of your forum....
:) :D

forum is the best source of getting the back links so how it can be died

commented: One cause might be people who post *only* for back links. :rolleyes: -3
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.