Here is what I did:
- The URL in the post above contains strikethroughs added by Daniweb.
- I copied the URL to Notepad to remove everything but the pure URL (including the strikethroughs).
- The repaired URL worked. I was able to read the KB article. Only the link in Daniweb won't work.
- I got the path string from the shortcut to word.
- I tried both the command line and the new shortcut methods listed in the KB article..
Was I supposed to get the dialog box in this link? http://i.imgur.com/bJhU4uV.png I did not get it.
I got the same results I got before:
- Using either Save or Save As to the My computer folder on the C: drive caused no problems.
- Using Save As to the E: drive caused no problems.
- Using Save to the E: drive caused the computer to crash.
- The first test that crashed the computer caused the Acvtive Desktop problem.
- The second test that crtashede the computer did not do this.
- Each crash leaves a .tmp file on the drive used. Examples are ^WRD0000.tmp and ^WRD0001.tmp.
- If the .tmp file is left in place, Word gives the option of recovering the file. It works.
- Word works normally except for the Save option.
I did not do any other tests because I lose the computer for half an hour each time it crashes (because Chkdsk runs before Windows starts) and because each crash ...