Hey!
I`m a computer science student, I have this problem!:
I don`t know which programming language I should learn!
I`ve already know a little c & c++ but I want to learn something completely and I don`t know what to choose!But perhaps I can use a little help here Wink
pleassse help!!! should I choose Java,c# or continue to learn c++ or...
thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

You should know OOP principles well. then come to the question Java or C#?. C# or Java?, you can spend all your life with people fighting to reach what the best. It's up to you. What you need to work with Microsoft technology (VS, WCF, WF, C#, Windows, SQL Server etc..) or Non-Microsoft technology??

Choose the one you like the most. :icon_rolleyes:

By the way, if you want to learn a language "completely" you'll likely end up learning nothing else. For example, there's probably not a human on this planet who can claim complete knowledge of C++.

> I`m a computer science student, I have this problem!:
> I don`t know which programming language I should learn!

http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/788.html
Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes.

There's a hell of a lot more to it than simply being able to recite a language reference manual.

>There's a hell of a lot more to it than simply being able to recite a language reference manual.
However, you can probably go for quite a while on book knowledge if your only goal is to look smart on forums and newsgroups if you're clever about it. ;)

Is there a way to get paid well for that instead of actually doing productive work? :)

I'm still trying to convince Dani to put me on the Daniweb payroll.

Half of the world knows CS == C# or Java!

Half of the world knows CS == C# or Java!

yes! and my problem is that which one is better or more useful.my Data Structure teacher gave me a project and I`m wondering what language to choose for writing it!and of course I`m gonna put all my focus on that language.just dont whant to regret it!

I use C#, some use Java.... AS YOU LIKE :) really select any of both, you don't develop business application to come with some features of language over else. try to read any tutorial of both and the one you feel rest with, use it.

>and my problem is that which one is better or more useful.
If one were better or more useful (all of the time, since you didn't specify your needs) then there wouldn't be two to choose from, would there?

Do it in Fortran.

> Half of the world knows CS == C# or Java!
And the other half know that only 1 in 10 people know about binary.

Seriously, if you want lots of $$$ and real job security, then go for Cobol.
http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2004/09/22/Cobol5B
- it's unfashionable, which means not too many young'uns are interested in it.
- it's an old language, so it isn't going to be obsolete any time soon.
- also being an old language, the first wave of practitioners are all soon to retire.
- result -> lots of big business with lots of Cobol to maintain, and very few people to do the work. Figure out the supply/demand implications for yourself.

> and of course I`m gonna put all my focus on that language.just dont whant to regret it!
The language is irrelevant.

Plus you're going to learn several in your programming career anyway, so choosing the first one really doesn't make a difference at all. Chances are that 10 or 20 years later, you won't be using it anyway.

What counts is knowing "HOW" to program. Armed with that knowledge, and a couple of languages picked up along the way, learning language 3 would take about a week.

Use C#, not Java. Java is the worst language in popular use, besides C++.

loooooooooooooool Salem I won't say and the other 9 :p because I know Binary :D

I use C#, some use Java.... AS YOU LIKE :) really select any of both, you don't develop business application to come with some features of language over else. try to read any tutorial of both and the one you feel rest with, use it.

yes I can can do that! ;-) well tnx anyway :)

Welcome, mark it as solved:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.