Hello
In many OOP languages "this"(or something similar) is used to point to current object. But i think its an object by itself. Here is what i found" polymorphic object which can point in different times to different object`s types"
I like to get some more information about this maybe some science article.
Thank you in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

What more information could there possibly be??? As you already stated its just a pointer to the current c++ class object.

For example, here's the output of the following in c++. It shows that the this pointer is the same in both child and parent.

A:  this = 2afc38
B:  this = 2afc38
Press any key to continue . . .
class A
{
public:
    A() 
    {
        x = 0;
    cout << "A:  this = " << hex << (unsigned int)this << "\n";
    }
private:
    int x;
};

class B : public A
{
public:
    B()
    {
        y = 0;
        cout << "B:  this = " << hex << (unsigned int)this << "\n";
    }
private:
    int y;
};

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
    B b;
}

Its just a Compilers way of saying "The main object under my concern right now is this" ,as AncientDragon has stated its just a pointer which is maintained completely by compiler which the user cannot modify,but can make use of it foir referencing the current object.For more info try these 1 2.

In Java you can think of 'this' as being the same thing as the name of the Object. So if you are in the class MyClass, 'this' is your MyClass Object.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.