that is the question guys.

thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Well a common confusion among high school seniors interested in computers has to do with too many, often similar, options available for pursuit in higher education.
What is the difference between Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, and why is neither the same as obtaining a Computer Science degree?

SOFTWARE ENGINEERING is probably the closest program to Computer Science, this major will also fetch an Iron Ring for those graduating in Canada. If Computer Science is about writing code, then Software Engineering is thinking about writing the said code.

The technical requirements of these software engineers include a strong foundation in mathematics, natural sciences, and computer science; a broad education in software engineering and design; an understanding of computers and networks; a better appreciation for all aspects of the software engineering life cycle; and the use of methodologies and tools.

The curriculum requirements are not all technical. Industry is also asking for graduates who have facility across several disciplines. Software engineering graduates need to have substantial communications, business, and reasoning skills. Graduates should be able to work in groups; make presentations to technical and non-technical audiences; write coherent well-reasoned reports; and assess the social, technical, legal, and commercial implications of the technology they help to create.

Not quite the same level of involvement with the code. Software Engineering is more abstract, more “larger picture” focused. Lack of Pointer kung-foo is made up with non-technical skills such as communication and presentations. Management material education.

commented: nice +9

COMPUTER ENGINEERING in many ways is similar to Software Engineering.
The Computer Engineering discipline deals with design of specialized type of software, and incorporates more hardware material into studies.

Computer Engineers apply algorithmic and digital design principles to design, build, and test computer software or hardware components used for information processing, communication, and storage – typically embedded in larger engineered systems and in distributed, networked environments. Application areas include communication, automation and robotics, power and energy, health care, business, security, entertainment, and many others.

For those lucky enough to have taken Computer Engineering in high school, this is it. Here you get to design your circuit board, and program it too! Lower level coding, but for actually physical gadgets. Pretty cool.:):cool:

If you want to become a programmer, you have to know how to code. Nothing else really matters, as long as you can talk to people like a normal human being and can get to work before 1:00 PM. You're going to be a complete noob, coming out of college, no matter whether you're a "software engineering" major or a "computer science" major, and you'll learn more about the "communications and managing of the project" stuff in the first year on the job than you will in any kind of school environment software engineering program. So you should regard any university education in that department as useless. Usually, the university education in the practices of software development is out of date or just flat-out wrong.

Computer engineering is sort of halfway between computer science and electrical engineering, I don't really know anything about it in particular.

Ultimately the real answer on what the terms mean depends on the particular university's curriculum, and on nothing else.

In my school :

Software Engr : 100% deals with software
Computer Science : 70% Software, 30% hardware
Computer Engr : 50-50% Software to hardware.

In my school :

Software Engr : 100% deals with software
Computer Science : 70% Software, 30% hardware
Computer Engr : 50-50% Software to hardware.

may be more precisely like this,
software eng : Java / C++ / AI / mahs/ Database/ Internet technologies like PHP Perl/ business subjects like E-commerce
/Project Management

Computer Science: C++/web programming/ Maths/ Compiler theory/
computer architecture/DBMS/AI/Computer Graphics/Networking/Operating Systems like these subjects

Computer Eng : VLSI / Assembly language / basic Electronic Skills/
FPGA/Compiler theory/maths / C++/ embedded system programming like subjects/ Operating systems/Telecommunication and networking/ Computer vision and image processing.

In my degree course I have all the mix fruit for sad :(. I want to
say I'm not a brilliant in maths and even I don't love it and hate it.
and after my degree I wish to study compiler theory and compiler design as specially.

commented: nice +9

Although realize, that you can take certain courses thats not in your major.
So you can take certain courses, thats related to computers, but is not
in your major.

Throughout my Computer Engineering education, the focus had mostly been on hardware engineering, with sidelong attention given to software engineering. All the basic CS courses plus some of the CS core courses where also part of the CE curriculum.

Just look at the curriculum. Course descriptions are available on the school's webpage. It should clear up most questions, and if not, you can ask here or elsewhere questions about what particular course descriptions portend.

I think they get preference on software engineers as they can all type of activities of computer relevance either they are hardware relevant or software.

I think they get preference on software engineers as they can all type of activities of computer relevance either they are hardware relevant or software.

I suppose Computer Science is a basis of both put together
I am in second year and learning C,assembly,Java and SQL...but also learning about processor architectures via assembly.
software engineering is programming viewing things from the software level, where as Computer engineers learn from the hardware's point of view.
look deep enough into either and you should cover both, thus Computer Science which is the current generalisation of both I think,
pm me corrections if I am wrong please

The computer engineers works more on the hardware side while software engineers mostly deal with softwares.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.