Hi guys, I've been fascinated with computers for a long time, and want to get more into it. Here are a few of my first questions:

1. I noticed the FAQ is 4+ years old, is it still valid?

2. I want to get into the industry (not sure where yet), but I don't have a CS/IT degree (I have a bachelor's in chemistry though). How tough is it to make it as a self-taught person in this area? Are there some areas that are easier or tougher to get into without a formal degree?

Thanks,
Argentis

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Regarding question #2: Programming is one of the easiest professions to get into without a formal degree in anything. You have a bachelor's in chemistry, and job descriptions tend to ask for "a bachelor's in computer science or some related degree." So if you're like "I have a bachelor's in chemistry and here's the proof that I don't suck at coding," and if you supply proof, well, you're hired. One of my coworkers has a bachelor's in chemistry.

Now, that's if you want to become a software developer. If you want to become some kind of... IT person... why in the world would you want to do that.

Regarding question #1: The FAQ is as valid as it was four years ago, but that doesn't mean it was a very good FAQ in the first place. It's not harmful.

Thanks for the reply. I'm still gathering information at this point as to what part of the industry I want to get into. I see the appeal of programming, but I don't really know what else is out there.

Thanks,
Argentis

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.