I want to create my own OS.

I already know:
Java
C++
HTML
3D Game Design
C#
Pascal

I was wondering if any of what I know might come in use. Is there a tutorial on making your own OS i could follow???

Thanx in advanced for your time!

--
C++

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

you need to move down to C and Assembler. Look for books by Andrew Tanenbaum (he taught Linus Torvalds) Andrew designed an OS called Minix specifically for teaching students about OS's it comes with one of his books with source.

I'd be interested in how you get on, I have started my own OS too just to get a better insite into how they work under the hood so to speek.

>he taught Linus Torvalds
Indirectly through his book perhaps, but Linus was never a student of Tanenbaum.

>Indirectly through his book perhaps, but Linus was never a student of Tanenbaum.

You're right I don't where I got that from. Linus studied in Helsinki and started Linux because Minix was lacking some things he needed and GNU/HURD was a long way off.

thanx guys! I looked at all of the books but they just explain the theory if an OS. do you know of any tutorials? An online one would be the best.

Thanx in advanced 4 all your help!

Many operating systems' source code are freely available. They certainly are not written in HTML, though...

I looked at all of the books but they just explain the theory if an OS. do you know of any tutorials? An online one would be the best.

You might want to take a second look.

[edit]Stumbled upon this.

Umm *Looks to the left*.... *Nods head shakes head questions...?*

If you didt get that message then that means Confused

Umm *Looks to the left*.... *Nods head shakes head questions...?*

If you didt get that message then that means Confused

why answer this year-old thread? I doubt anyone really cares any more. I'm going to close it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.