Hey all, for this term in my conquest for a BS degree in Information technology, we were assigned to create a UML diagram of any object oriented program that we would like.

My problem is I have no idea on what to create. There will be no coding for this project, so I guess we can be very ambitious as we want, although not too ambitious to the point that we don't know how to even begin drawing the UML diagrams. I have submitted a proposal that I would make a "point of sales system" uml diagram but I and my group find it that a POS system is far too easy and may not garner a good grade because of its simplicity(?)

This is our first time exposure "REAL" exposure to object oriented programming.

So, I ask you guys:
Can you guys suggest projects or systems that I can make UML diagrams for?

Thank you very much!!

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

You could create a car diagram, and all the classes are the parts, and they contain functions that interact with each other to make the car properly run.

So you have a class for tires, engine, transmission, etc...

If you want something really challenging, you can try to diagram out a game, and by game I don't mean Snake. Something bigger like an RPG or first person shooter. You can then make these as simple or complicated as you want.

@Sodabread:

Wow, an rpg would indeed sound nice and interesting! But I ask when creating the uml diagram for this, would I have to include the graphics, shapes and sounds to be used in the diagram? or just the basic character, monsters, weapons, etc.

@LevyDee:
Thank you for your suggestion! But I believe my professor won't allow us to do just that. This is because he as already made an example about this and have drawn a uml diagram for it.

UML is pretty much the classes and associated methods & members, so actual graphics, sounds, etc.. wouldn't be needed besides the members that cater to playing sounds or displaying graphics.

Create Media Player with GUI
These are hinted classes. Expand/reduce them as you wish
GUI Class
Methods: CreateToolBar, CreateMenu, LoadConfig

FileClass
Methods: LoadFile, LoadFolder, LoadPlayList...et al

PlayerClass
Methods: LoadMedia, Play, Pause, Stop, FForward, et al

You can in future even implement that in Java/C++/Python or whatever language

@evstevemd:
Oh, that sounds a little complicated, but nothing that a little reading on how media players work can't cover up though :D

@SodaBread:
I see, so similar to evstevemd's example I can just make a class of type gui and use that to "simulate" the graphics, menus and whatnots for creation, right?

@evstevemd: no what I meant was the concepts, operations and attributes utilized for the creation of the media player. since i have no background on such, i thought it would be a little difficult, but i contradicted that by saying that there is nothing a little reading can't fix. sorry for being ambiguous.

Still looking for that "final year project idea generator"...
Would help out a lot of kids who're too thick to think creatively and therefore can't come up with their own project ideas.

I recently worked on a project involving a website that interacted with an Android App and it was really fun to design. Maybe you could think of something cool like that. A data driven app would be cool. For example we did flashcards.

Which language did you use?
Sorry for little thread hijack ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.