YES....it might sound funny to lots who may have achieved and to some who may have had good orientations........but for me.....its a serious issue.....i am being thought in class.....but i really want to know wht is out there in the market....in the world beyond my classrooms and the "funny assignments we do........ I REALLY WANT TO KNOW......WHAT O DO IF I REALLY WANT TO BE A COMPUTER SCIENTIST...WHERE DO I START ........WHAT ????? WHERE??? DO I START??????

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Download Python and use it to make programs.

Well, one way to become a programmer is to learn how to program :)

Computer Science is not programming: It is a field of study. If you want to be a computer scientist:

1. Go to a school with a good Computer Science department. Get excellent grades.
  2. Be admitted to graduate school at a(nother) good University.
  3. Work hard, get good grades. Write papers.
  4. Get your doctorate in CS.
  5. Get a job as a Professor. Publish lots of interesting and well reviewed papers.
  6. Based on your good reputation, get a(nother) job as a tenured Professor.

Now you are a computer scientist.

Not really. You don't need a PhD in CS to be a computer scientist.

Edit: You also don't need to worry about your grades. Nobody cares about your grades as long as they're not abysmal and meet some minimum.

Edit 2: Especially in grad school. You're not supposed to get good grades in grad school.

Not really. You don't need a PhD in CS to be a computer scientist.

I suppose this is true. However if you want to make a living as a Computer Scientist (and not something else, such as programmer or manager or whatnot), then a PhD is a good place to stand.

Edit: You also don't need to worry about your grades. Nobody cares about your grades as long as they're not abysmal and meet some minimum.

Where did you get admitted to grad school? They sure as heck cared about my grades!. Maybe you are better looking or something ...

Edit 2: Especially in grad school. You're not supposed to get good grades in grad school.

Yeah, you really only need good enough grades. The point of grad school is to get the degree, not the grades. I notice you didn't negate the need to write papers...

Where did you get admitted to grad school? They sure as heck cared about my grades!. Maybe you are better looking or something ...

Well, I would view something like a 3.6 GPA as abysmal, and a 3.8 in-major as abysmal.

What I really might have meant is that if you were interested in going to grad school, grades should be the last of your worries. If you're interested in the subject, you're not going to have a problem getting good grades.

Yeah, you really only need good enough grades. The point of grad school is to get the degree, not the grades. I notice you didn't negate the need to write papers...

Right, if you're getting anything higher than a B- in your classes in grad school, that means you could have spent less time studying and more time on your research.

its been a while i came around but here i am to show a sincere appreciation to you all for the comments...i realy appreciate.thanks all

Yes, many of them said get at least a degree in Computer Science. Try not to confuse yourself with big word ‘IT’. Trust me, it’s a big word. Just like Biology, Physic or something similar.
Survey for a good university and get a basic recognized degree in Computer Science. By this you are just arriving at the station. Computer Science is academic. Try to survey for ‘computer science’ subjects available in the particular university of choice. Do not confuse Software Engineering with Computer Science. Although both are tightly tied, there are still some distinctions.
As you move on, try to narrow your scope according to your interest in the Computer Science field, e.g. Image Processing, Compiler Architecture or etc. Many out there to choose from. Try to really understand these 3 cores in detail if can: Computer Architecture, Computer Mathematics, Compiler Architectures. Mandatory I would say.
Computer science is about concepts and also implementation; therefore do not hesitate to write program at you language of choice. Many to chose from, I would recommend C or C++ to start. Learn a lot of algorithm and data structure pertaining methods to be versatile in programming. Do not tie up to frameworks at first, but to algorithms and coding-fashions.
Oh, yeah let the master explain in detail from here onwards: Very inspiring if you are passionate about the real-deal. http://www.daniweb.com/interviews/interview313564.html

What I actually might have meant is that if yours were interested in going to graduate school, grades ought be the last of your concerns If you're interested in the matter, you're not going to have a trouble getting goodness grades.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.