I want to create a media player,something similar to the VLC media player which can play both audio and video. Please help me out with any knowledge you have, I really need some information on how to go about making this player.
Thanks in advance. :)

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

In Audio you need to create:
Data Access Layer which will open and load file. Then you will need Audio Manager class to detect audio file type and call a right library to play the stream. Each library have its ability, here are few:
1. libmad - plays mp3
2. libflac - plays flac
3. libvorbis - plays ogg/vorbis
et al.
I don't know much about video, may be another person will answer

thank u for the reply :)
can u suggest how do i go about designing the skins as well as finding the audio output codes,m still at a complete loss as to designing and coding... :(

thank u for the reply :)
can u suggest how do i go about designing the skins as well as finding the audio output codes,m still at a complete loss as to designing and coding... :(

Skinning is not for faint hearted. If you use wxWidgets, UpCase (from wxForum) have made wxSkin. As for me I would suggest coding using C++ and wxWidgets toolkit. Reasons are straight forward: it is my favorite toolkit :)
Design phase you can use paper and pen or use UML softwares like ArgoUML or CodeDesigner. the latter generates C++ codes though not sure about the former

Thanx a ton :)
really helpful :)

You are welcome. If satisfied, mark it solved!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.