I'm currently working towards earning my bachelor's degree in computer science from Purdue University, and I was wondering what my options are as far as finding a job in the computer science field while I'm still going to school? I'm not at the point where I can get an internship yet, so I figure my best bet is to grab a couple of certifications and use those to get myself a job until I graduate. I do NOT want to be a waiter anymore.

So, I suppose my question is, what certifications do you guys recommend for landing a decent job in the computer science field until I get my degree? So far I've only taken my prerequisite courses, as well as an advanced web design class, an intro to programming class, and computer science fundamentals. I've been teaching myself Python outside of school, trying to get ahead on more advanced programming concepts before I go back to school in the fall (after I complete army basic training), but that's about it.

That being said, I'm more than confident in my ability to take the required online course and pass the accompanying certification test, I'm just looking for the most useful/sought after certifications in the industry.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Certifications are mostly a waste of money and some time. For the most part, shops that demand such certification are pretty unfriendly to programmers and tend toward inflexibility in a variety of ways. Once you have a job, it may pay to get your certification to help you advance at that shop; particularly if you can get the employer to foot some or all of the cost, possibly pay you while you study.

I see two potentially useful options for you:

1. "Make your own internship" by buttonholing some of the profs who know you and your skills; get them to do what they can to help. Tell them the same thing you said here: "I'm really tired of working at something that doesn't even come close to being related to my education but I really need at least some income."
  2. Grit your teeth and borrow more, using it to study more intensely and get finished sooner.

What griswolf said. Computer science certifications are worthless. (Corollary: Employers for which having a certification is helpful for advancement are also worthless.)

I'm not at the point where I can get an internship yet

I don't believe you. Why do you believe this?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.