Recently, I am looking up some information about virtualization. I found it's so hot, while i don't think it worth it.
Virtualization is done!
Let's say that virtualization is feasible now. We have to consider these things.
First, it just transfer the hardware cost to the service provider, while we have to pay it eventually.
Second, what's the use of it? For efficience? Easy to manager the datas? I don't think so, if our network is fast, all our data can be on other servers, but our netword is not so wonderful. We have to tolerate the slow delivering process.
Third, it's not so easy to provide the software service for every client, because we have to pay a lot of money for the copyright. Maybe we can use the opensource software, but don't think so, if there are no profit, few body will make software.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Virtualization allows me to use my hardware more efficiently. People are slow, and machines are fast. Where we used to have big machines with multiple accounts running on the same OS, we can now afford to have big machines with multiple OSs running on the same hardware. The value is in three places:

1. You can do things on different OSs. Testing is obvious.
  2. You can safely do things that must be kept separate: if someone crashes your virtual server, mine is still just fine. Students learning to program threads, for instance.
  3. You can use more of the machines cycles to get useful work done.

You can benefit more and more from Virtualisation nowadays. Especially because of the advanced technology of the servers allow to give the deepest maintenance such as change the motherboard when the server is running.

The software and hardware combined allow you to move a working virtual machine to other and also move storage for example.

If one server from the cluster fails, the virtual servers restart on another host in the cluster. That means minimal and sometimes non perceptive operation for business.
Computer Networks IT

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.