Is Optical Character Recognition a good example/application of Data Mining techniques ?
or
Should Data Mining be applied mainly to web research/web tools ???

Could you please give me more examples on Data Mining that could make a good project if OCR is not good ??!!

Thanks ! :)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Is Optical Character Recognition a good example/application of Data Mining techniques ?
or
Should Data Mining be applied mainly to web research/web tools ???

Could you please give me more examples on Data Mining that could make a good project if OCR is not good ??!!

Thanks ! :)

OCR isn't data mining. OCR is for recognizing known patterns; data mining is for finding new patterns.

You could have a Web site front end to a data mining application, but data mining isn't about the Web--it's about databases, pattern recognition, and statistical techniques.

For project ideas, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_mining#Notable_uses.

Agree with gusano79. OCR is image processing (biomatric application) mostly use the statistical formulas and others. Data mining is like intelegent analysis e.g. sales in store, you have toothpaste A,toothpaste B,toothpaste C. At the end of year:

You have large of statistical about data that like number of items sold, when sold etc but you apply on your techniques to have which items is sold most in which month, in which area and how many items you need in future in each time to fullfil your need etc. This is simple and basic example.

OCR is image processing (biomatric application)

Quick note: OCR is not biometric--it's for recognizing writing, not people.

Apart from websites what applications can Data Mining have ?
I mean if wish to make a software..... what application should I choose ???

Sorry, I was thinking about face recongintion system but writing for optical character recongnition. Thanks for quick point out..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.