Hi,

I want to learn either java, vb.net or web development. Also I want to create my own movie database.
Question is what is the appropriate language to do a movie database?

If you have other language in mind. please feel free to let me know and why you think it is better.

Thanks!
Mr17

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Question is what is the appropriate language to do a movie database?

Depends on your requirements. There is no best one language, it can be done in all of them.

I have written such in C back in the 1980's. It was not only a movie database (that was part of it), but it was a full video store management package, integrating register, scanner, price lookups, rentals, purchases, etc.

Well main requirements would be.
1.) keep a list of all the movie available.
2.) Add details (such as plots, summary, movie pic)
3.) On the program itself. Call VLC to play the movie.
4.) Online capability is not needed.

I know that in VB.net you can already create the GUI. How about in Java?

Thanks.

Java has GUI's yes.

In what?

3.) On the program itself. Call VLC to play the movie.

That's possible in VB.NET, Java and even in web.

Then why consider web?

It seems like you want to keep everything local. Web and local can cause problems, which may require workarounds, and since you're not mentioning any web languages I'd reckon you're better off with one of the other two. Why not pick the one you're best at?

Depending on your video file formats (mp4 is good), Java has built-in capabilities for playing video files directly in its own GUI - no need to install/interface with an external video player.
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/javafx/media-tutorial/overview.htm#JFXMD101

(But if you want to support the meximum possible range of file dormats, VLC is the most capable)

@Traevel

In what?

I am thinking putting it in a mysql database.

Then why consider web?
Since I find web development to be interesting and a good language to know.
I am just planning to run an local server. (XAMP if I remember correctly).

It seems like you want to keep everything local. Web and local can cause problems, which may require workarounds, and since you're not mentioning any web languages I'd reckon you're better off with one of the other two. Why not pick the one you're best at?

Hmm. The language I am familiar with is COBOL haha. Maybe I will go on with JAVA since it is also used by android. Maybe I can take it further when I am already familiar with it.

@JamesCherrill

Thanks, I will keep that in mind about using mp4.

--

Any personal recommendation where is the best place to start to learn Java?

Oracle's own tutorials are excellent and comprehensive, and kept fully uo-to-date. (But that does mean that they are not always easy).
Be aware that many tutorials on web are out of date to vatying degrees. Java 8 was released last spring and has some major new features (eg JavaFX), and it would be a shame to spend time learning about features that have been superceeded.
If Android devlopment is part of your plans then that's an excellent reason to go with Java.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.