Hi,

I am making a database and currently trying to normalise it to bcnf, all my other tables i believe i have got correct and work in the best way. However i was wondering whether or not for my Employee table if using bcnf it is wise to try and split up the table?

The table consists of attributes suich as employee id, fname, sname, sex, houseno, street name etc etc and stuff like phone number. Looking at it i feel i maybe could split it up, but im not sure if maybe it would be best to keep it all in one table as it is mainly all contact information as there isnt really anything that applies to projects an employee may be assigned to!

any opinions would be helpful

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

hi djclipz,

one cannot state anything about your normalisation, if you do not tell precisely of which attributes your relations consist of. As for "suich as employee id, fname, sname, sex, houseno, street name etc etc " what is etc etc? It might be helpful for yourself if you list some functional dependencies.

brs, cliff

i will read this tomorrow. i have Normalisation so that i can get a good idea about it after talking here. so tomorrow ill tell what my idea is about this thread. thanks..

hi djclipz,

one cannot state anything about your normalisation, if you do not tell precisely of which attributes your relations consist of. As for "suich as employee id, fname, sname, sex, houseno, street name etc etc " what is etc etc? It might be helpful for yourself if you list some functional dependencies.

brs, cliff

true. need to know all the fields in that table so then can tell what should split

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.