Hello all,

I work for a S/w MNC as an system eng support but I wanted to move into database. I am new to databse. can anyone suggest me how to start with this. It's a new field for me but I want to make my career in this. Do i need to go for any certification initially? or learn by my own?, please sugget.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

You need to learn for basics first instead of going for certifications. Certifications will definately add some weitage but that is not compulsary.

Yeah, that is correct but how shall I go about it, that is my question friend? What are the basic courses i can go for or basics I need to do? is it a rite desicion to leave my previous exp and get into this?

You need to decide which database you want to work on .Because there are several databases in market . After that you can start learning the database from scratch.

You need to decide which database you want to work on .Because there are several databases in market . After that you can start learning the database from scratch.

Hello Debasisdas,

I have some IT background (studied COBOL/C/C++/ORACLE) but no working experience.After a break of couple years now I am planning to start IT career. I think I have 2 options 1) Programming field 2) Database field
Regarding my interest ,I think I am open to both of them.

After my research, I have decided to go for database career as it seems stable and easy compare to programming career.

My quesion is database career is so vast, how should I know where to start ? People have suggetsted me to go for DBA, some says Data warehousing, some suggested Terradata, SQL Server 2005.......I am really confused. Don't know where to start ? Also I get more confused bcoz when people suggest you and you dont know what it is ? For eg some says SQL SERVER 2005. I dont know what technology it is ?

Would really appretiate your help.

Thanks, Krishna

Also I am located in US.

SQL SERVER 2005 is a database from Microsoft.
If ypu want to go for database ,you need to decide for the database first.

I will strongly recommend you to go for basics of database first before jumping into DBA part.

SQL SERVER 2005 is a database from Microsoft.
If ypu want to go for database ,you need to decide for the database first.

I will strongly recommend you to go for basics of database first before jumping into DBA part.

Thankyou for your reply.

I do know basics of database (I have learnt Oracle) Based on that if I decide to go for Oracle database then I would like to know :

What is the starting point (lowest level) in any database (Is it DBA ?) and then what ?.......what is the finishing point (highest level) I can reach?

I hope I am making myself clear.

OK...I just don't want to start a DBA course and then learn that I could have done a higher course.
I mean, when we are kids, we go to Grade 1 ,Grade 2 and then Grade 3 and so on ...So I want to know what is Grade 1/Grade 2/Grade 3.......in database career ?

Daniweb community....This answer will really help me as after this anwer I am planning to take that class and eagerly waiting to start my career.

Thanks.

DBA is definately not the starting level.

You need to go for SQL PL/SQL programming to start with.

DBA is definately not the starting level.

You need to go for SQL PL/SQL programming to start with.

Then what IS the starting level and finishing level ? I mean what is the 1,2,3......and A,B,C.....of the Database field ?

Since I learnt Oracle, I do know PL/SQL .....then what ?

after SQL, PL/SQL u can go for DBA.

later on you can go for OCA / OCP certification if required .

The heighest level is OCM. There are very less people(<1000) with that degree.

after SQL, PL/SQL u can go for DBA.

later on you can go for OCA / OCP certification if required .

The heighest level is OCM. There are very less people(<1000) with that degree.

Thanks again.

So for Database career,as I understand, it goes like

if it is Oracle database :
1)PL/SQL
2)Oracle DBA.
3)OCA is Oracle certified Associate
4)OCP is Oracle certified Professional
5)OCM is Oracle certified Master

if it is Microsoft database :
1)PL/SQL
2)Microsoft SQL Server DBA.
-----
-----
----

So DBA comes the next step after learning PL/SQL....Am I right ?

yes.

it is better if you have good hands on experience in PL/SQL before going for DBA.

yes.

it is better if you have good hands on experience in PL/SQL before going for DBA.

Does anybody know about Teradata?
What it is and what is the future of Teradata?
Does any institute in India teaches Teradata course?

One of my friend suggested me learn Teradata instead Oracle DBA as it has good future.
Pls advise.

Really, so what do I need to learn Oracle??
and .. is there an IDE or an SDK to develop in Oracle but .. free hahaha Im not that rich yet =)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.