This may sound stupid but I am very new to MySQL.
I am thinking of using this for a database driven site on a Linux server with a new, (hopefully more reliable) host.
My current host can supply a MySQL database for £25.00 per year, (seems too cheap) my proposed host is quoting £160.00 per month just for the MySQL database and set up.
The existing is co-hosted and the new one will be on a dedicated server but the prices above do not include hosting, just the MySQL.
I have looked around to see if MySQL is something I could buy and install myself but cannot seem to find anybody selling it as a program.
Is it something you buy, rent or is it a free program, (optimistic I know).
Why would there be such a large difference in the price or am I just being ripped off.
I know the above may sound very basic but I really do not have a clue about MySQL. Can somebody help? I have ordered a couple of books on the subject from Amazon (any recommendations?) but would like to find out a bit more ASAP.

Hope some one can help a novice.

Regards,
RobL

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Any host that charges you for MySQL is almost most certainly ripping you off. About 95% of the hosts that I see support MySQL by default.

And, I'm glad to help you here :) Because, guess what? MySQL is FREE and OPEN SOURCE :eek: :D :) Meaning that actually, the code is publicly available to the public and therefore, no one can LEGALLY sell it for any price and therefore, you can't rent it, you can't buy it. You can just download it and install it on your own computer. But in this case, about your host, they should have already supported MySQL by default. Which host is it? The 25 pounds is quite a lot for MySQL to be installed.

Hopefully the host that charges more is providing a much better server and really high bandwidth...... As Gary noted mysql is open source and free to use.

My suggestion is to rent a dedicated server and load what you want on it :)

Dance

It sounds like he only needs a shared server ;)

Hi,
Thanks very much for the responses.
The company that is trying to sell me MySQL for £160.00 per month is trying to charge that just to install and maintain the MySQL database. They told me it was expensive due to the licensing fees! This cost does not include the hosting fee.
I had a feeling I was being ripped off.
I am switching to a dedicated server and have used Excel for quite a while and have a reasonable knowledge of Access, I presume from you replies that MySQL is along similar lines to Access and can be uploaded to any server?
I am going to download it today and have a play.

Thanks again for you help, any ideas/suggestion for the set up or transfer of existing data from Excel would be appreciated.

Regards,

Robert.

Hi Gary,
Thanks for the info. I think I am getting the hang of this now.
One more question. Would I have to set up a separate IP address for the MySQL database to be on or can it be on the main IP address?
I have the option to do this via my host company.

Regards,

Robert.

It can be on the same IP address. It technically doesn't really require connection to the internet at all, to be honest. What happens is that when you use scripts (like PHP scripts <--- PHP is also open source, free :) Your web server is probably open source and free too - Apache) the scripts then connect to the database, which is almost always on the same server.

So therefore, there is no direct connection from DB -> internet; it can just be placed on the localhost, meaning the same PC as where the scripts are resided.

Bottom line: It doesn't require it's own IP address.

Thanks Gary the info was very useful.
One more quick question, do you know if MySql download comes with PHP MyAdmin, or is it a add on.

Regards,

Robert.

May be rude to ask, but care to tell us the names/addresses of the company that want to charge you a fortune for mysql?

I think companies like that should be shouted out on the net so others are warned!

May be rude to ask, but care to tell us the names/addresses of the company that want to charge you a fortune for mysql?

I think companies like that should be shouted out on the net so others are warned!

Fasthosts wanted £25.00 but I have been having "issues" with their downtime lately.
Rackspace wanted £160.00 per month to install and maintain MySQL.
I have now managed to set it up my self.

I must add this forum has been very useful.

Regards,

Robert.

So which host did you end up choosing? :) Also, so you are on managed hosting plan? Because rackspace is managed hosting, I know that by heart.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.