hi guys

I want know that whether is it possible that to implement Client - Server architecture by using SQL SERVER 2005 EXPRESS EDITION
as a main server and on other client PCs also I have SQL SERVER 2005 EXPRESS EDITION . So can i connect to main server from that
client server SQL server 2005 express edition?

I read on Net that for a main server I need SQL SERVER full version or compact version and in clinet its ok to install EXpress edition ?
Is is true?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Yes you can use SQL Server 2005. Be sure to enable remote connections when installing it however. He is a good start on configuring all of the installation options:

setup.exe /qb ADDLOCAL=SQL_Engine,SQL_Data_Files,SQL_Replication,Client_Components,Connectivity,SQL_SSMSEE INSTANCENAME=@@YourInstanceName@@ SAVESYSDB=1 SQLBROWSERAUTOSTART=1 SQLAUTOSTART=1 AGTAUTOSTART=1 SECURITYMODE=SQL SAPWD=@@PASSWORD@@ DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 ERRORREPORTING=1 SQMREPORTING=0 ADDUSERASADMIN=1 INSTALLSQLDIR="%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\"

The fields highlighted in red should be changed and the @@s removed. I added them to make it stick out.

hi guys

I want know that whether is it possible that to implement Client - Server architecture by using SQL SERVER 2005 EXPRESS EDITION
as a main server and on other client PCs also I have SQL SERVER 2005 EXPRESS EDITION . So can i connect to main server from that
client server SQL server 2005 express edition?

I read on Net that for a main server I need SQL SERVER full version or compact version and in clinet its ok to install EXpress edition ?
Is is true?

Answer :
you can't implement client-server by using SQL SERVER 2005 EXPRESS EDITION you need a DEVELOPER EDITION at least the express edition is experimental edition you can creat a client server by installing SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition first and then 2005 Express Edition

commented: untrue -2

Answer :
you can't implement client-server by using SQL SERVER 2005 EXPRESS EDITION you need a DEVELOPER EDITION at least the express edition is experimental edition you can creat a client server by installing SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition first and then 2005 Express Edition

That is untrue. The "Express Edition" has built in limitations but you can implement client-server side functionality.

Can I use sql server 2008 express edition for that?
Is it so that sql server 2008 express edition comes with same limitation as SQL server express 2005 i.e. cannot be used as a main server for connecting clients to it ??

You can use SQL 2008 as well for a client-server architecture. Get this out of your mind that SQL express editions are not capable of it -- because they are.

Ya .. thanx

I was my misunderstanding..
I was successful in connecting sql express 2005 in client -server mode..

Thnx a lot :)
Cheers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.