I have been trying to download the community server edition of MySQL for 2 days with no success. I was able to download the installer and found the ZIP archive (both downloaded and mirrored properly) which I was also able to download but I cannot for some reason open the actual MySQL database application. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong??

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Mm. So you unzipped the distribution, looked inside, found the installation instructions and followed each of the steps religiously? If that doesn't work, then perhaps use one of these wrapper distributions: or equivalent which are supposed to make installing a working system somewhat (or much) easier.

There is no database application which you could "open". MySQL does not come with a GUI. MySQL server usually runs as a service. You can connect to the server with various command line client programs like mysql, mysqladmin, mysqldump etc. which you find in the mysql/bin folder.

I have been trying to download the community server edition of MySQL for 2 days with no success. I was able to download the installer and found the ZIP archive (both downloaded and mirrored properly) which I was also able to download but I cannot for some reason open the actual MySQL database application. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong??

I solved my problem with all of it. the database, server, mysql and php by downloading uniform server (uniserver). Awesome little program that makes it so easy for noobies like me. It is apache.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.