Hi all,

I like to rename my table's column.
My table name is: utf8_Alter
Field: Branch

In the Branch field I have few columns name

I tried to change the name with this query: But it didn't work.

ALTER TABLE `utf8_Alter` CHANGE `ゴルダーズグリーン` `ーン ノースロンドン` varchar( 64 )

MySQL said: Documentation
#1054 - Unknown column 'ゴルダーズグリーン' in 'utf8_Alter'

The Collation in phphMyAdmin is :utf8_general_ci

Can anyone assist me what I did wrong here?
Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

This may help.

This may help.

Thanks debasisdas, I have tried that but still did not work - am I missing the syntax or something?

Probably you are using the wrong character set for the connection. Try it with command line mysql and have a look at the connection variables with

show variables like "%conn%"

Set the connection character set to utf8.

check exact column and row and then change. otherwise it show error message

Probably you are using the wrong character set for the connection. Try it with command line mysql and have a look at the connection variables with

show variables like "%conn%"

Set the connection character set to utf8.

Hmmm I don't think so - as I am using phpMyAdmin to run the query; I have tried this query;

SQL query:

SET NAMES 'utf8';

ALTER TABLE `utf8_Alter` CHANGE `ゴルダーズグリーン` `ーン ノースロンドン` varchar( 64 ) ;

MySQL said: Documentation
#1054 - Unknown column 'ゴルダーズグリーン' in 'utf8_Alter'

In phpMyadmin the Collation is SET as utf8_general_ci (multilingual) which I think is correct.

But it is still did not work. Any idea?

Do not use phpMyAdmin for that. It will lead you astray. Use the command line client to debug character set issues.

Do not use phpMyAdmin for that. It will lead you astray. Use the command line client to debug character set issues.

How do I use a command line client? Can you please explain? As all my DB I am using phpMyadmin..

Thanks in advance.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.