Hi, everybody
I need to conduct a large amount of data analysis on database. Could anyone recommend an interactive application for data analysis?
The requirements are:
1. Able to cope with the unexpected requirement rapidly.
2. Able to perform further computations on results interactively.
3. Easy to confront even a large amount of complex computations
I tried SQL in the beginning but give up now because SQL does not provide the stepwise analysis capability like Excel. And Excel, It's too rough to solve the my problem.( should I give a discussible example ?)

What would you great expert recommend?
Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

If you mean reducing your result set by further adding new filters, maybe Navicat will work. It's paid, but has a trial version available. Filtering columns is well implemented, you can just right click a column and add a filter or sort.

Navicat

thank you

"reducing your result set by further adding new filters", yes, It's one of my aim. I will check Navicat and I'm willing to pay enough money for the right software.
I appreciate for your suggestion.
to make it clear, what I want to do is:

to solve these problems: a. to select out the 10 categories of best sellers b. as a further computation on the basis of result from a., to select out the top 20 products from each category, c. as a further comparison with that of the last year based on the result from a., to select out the newly-appeared and the disappeared categories on the list of this year.
1. SQL does not provide the stepwise analysis capability like Excel
2. If changing the SQL statement for the problem a to select out the 5 categories, then I'll have to change accordingly in the statements for b and the c. In addition, these SQL statements are too long and too complex. I've got hundreds of goals of computations like this.

Navicat

sorry, I checked it and found that Navicat may not be a ideal solution.
It's only a simple ETL or import/export tool, It lack analysis ability and can not solve the above problems .

some one suggest me language R or SPSS, but I'm not sure, they are all complex system and I can't understand them very fast, Do you think they are good choice?

SPSS is certainly a major player for statistical analysis.

thank you.
I'm considering about SPSS. Do you know does it have stepwise ability. What I mean is:
1. In excel, I can write number "10" in A1 cell, then formula "=A1*5" in A2 cell. then formula "=A2+2" in A3 cell. A1->A2->A3, It's stepwise.
2. When I change 10 to 9 in A1, then result in A2 and A3 will changed automatic.
3. I have an example: a. to select out the 10 categories of best sellers b. as a further computation on the basis of result from a., to select out the top 20 products from each category, c. as a further comparison with that of the last year based on the result from a.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.