Sirs, please suggest a good way to handle large amount of data. This is my newbie idea:

• create a database on one of high powered pc(dedicated for whole company)
  • then sync every changes to another copy of this database to the online hosting service with security

note: theres should be another copy of database running and syncronizing on another branch of company any tips and advices would be appreciated...

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

You haven't provided enough information. What kind of data? Who needs access to the data? How is the data accessed? How much of it needs to be accessible at any given time? What does "large amount" really mean?

Is this online hosting service just for storage (such as a cloud or managed internal data store) or is it a web server?

Member Avatar for Everyauction

@deceptikon: if you don't mind, I have a question to this, not beeing familiar with SQL-Specifics. Is it, generally spoken, possible, doing what '2mhzbrain' asks for, to have a kind of 'back-up' DB set up, beeing updated when the system DB- Data is edited in any way.

I am a (fundamental) flatfile User, I know how to do it here. But I wonder, if one can 'post' data into 2 separate SQL DB's as well. Thank you.

Ernie

Is it, generally spoken, possible, doing what '2mhzbrain' asks for, to have a kind of 'back-up' DB set up, beeing updated when the system DB- Data is edited in any way.

Certainly. What you're talking about is called database replication, or database mirroring. It does pretty much what you said: changes to the master database are committed and then propagate to the slave databases.

thanks a lot, I figured...

Ernie

What kind of data?
-payroll system, inventory system, accounting system

Who needs access to the data?
A lot of employees like HR, Accounting Department, Our Boss

How is the data accessed?
Probably almost every moment

How much of it needs to be accessible at any given time?
All of it, sir deceptikon is right about mirroring 3 databases for back up purposes

What does "large amount" really mean?
500-600 employees are large amount

Is this online hosting service just for storage (such as a cloud or managed internal data store) or is it a web server?
I want it to be like a web database

All changes/acces to database will first implemented to the LAN database to prevent the delay of connecting to the online database then do the syncronizing in the background of the applications while it is running for the other 2 databases.

All program must use MySQL to process all data, we have 2 separated branches of our company, our boss like to connect it and process a single database for easy management of employee data

Please give me professional idea, my idea is newbie ^_^

-payroll system, inventory system, accounting system

Inventory is easy, accounting and payroll are quite a bit harder.

I want it to be like a web database

For payroll and accounting? No offense, but that's a really bad idea. An intranet portal is fine, but making it web accessible would be the height of stupidity, in my opinion.

Please give me professional idea, my idea is newbie ^_^

If this is for professional use, I'd highly recommend buying an existing package for each use. They'll be more mature and far less likely to fuck things up than a custom solution.

Payroll and accounting on the web?!!!

Totally insane and asking for major problems. If my last job had put my payroll details on a web server, I'd have been round banging on doors complaining like mad!

Only a total newbie would dare to suggest such an idea.

Tell me what to do... i just want a real job than playing computer games.
Company (branch 1) has 20-30 computers
Company (branch 2) has 10 computers (location is miles away from branch 1)
Bosses have loptops to run our programs
They want to link branch 1 and branch 2 databases

a total of 500+ employees

payroll/accounting system
inventory system
project management system

2 newbie programmers including me
1 new programmer (just hired months ahead of us)

we will write all the programs using vb SIX.ZERO and mysql as database,

don't scare this poor fellow to much.... I know of a Company, called COOP, the leading Swiss Retailer, they have everything, down to the last outlet-Sales Stats, online, in every retail outlet, upfront to the last Info PC. Using a thing called INTRANET. So, Shop-Manager can always compare results, Sales, Stocks, whatever they want to see. Guess what is used on their PC's? Windows NT!!! I don't know how much they pay MS per Year to keep that thing alive and well, but during 5 Years of partly working for them, I never heard about one Network-Failure. Since that Network consists of about 100'000 units, a secure Intranet-Solution can, generally spoken, not be so bad, when it comes to Security.

Anybody around, beeing familiar with Intranet?
Tell us more about it!

Ernie

An intranet is a private network inside the company! Things are NOT on the internet. And the intranet itself is not connected to the internet either, that's how you get security.

They may have a private web server inside their company, and they connect to that using browsers, but it is internal only. They may have a VPN that connects one base to the one with the server. But you or I can't get at it.

What this newbie's company are after is a server that they can run their existing software from - an ordinary network server. They do not want to put stuff on the internet. Our newbie is totally out of his depth here. They need someone with experience of setting up networks to establish a VPN between the two locations, and wire in ethernet around the builds. This is not a web project at all, and our newbie is trying to do this work with no experience of what is actually required.

My advice to him is to get out quick before they sue him when data gets lost or the business has problems he generates.

"we will write all the programs using vb SIX.ZERO and mysql as database"

VB 6 is from the late 1990's - you are soooo out of your depth here!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.