Hello, I need help with android programming. The problem is that I can't make this portion of my codes to work the way I want to. I want to simply:
- Delete a record inside the SQL lite database
- Delete the record also inside the AlertDialog Single Choice Item list

That's it. I am trying to solve this one right now. Trying to see where the fault is. My android app works well on my phone with no detected errors only that it won't let me delete a single record. Must the problem be with the declaration of Array or from the SQL statement?

String getPlayer=""; //to be used later to store Player's name

public void revealWhenButtonRemove(){
    AlertDialog.Builder revealListOfNames = new AlertDialog.Builder(userProfile.this);
    ArrayList<String> ar = new ArrayList<String>();

Cursor c=db.rawQuery("SELECT * FROM player", null);
    while(c.moveToNext())
    {
        ar.add(c.getString(0)+"\n"); //add to arrayList
    }
    Object[] objRevAr=ar.toArray();
   final String[] revAr= Arrays.copyOf(objRevAr, objRevAr.length, String[].class); // put into array revAr to display on List

if(revAr.length == 0)
    { // if there is no saved Player Data
        revealListOfNames.setTitle("Awww.. :(");
        revealListOfNames.setMessage("No one is here yet");
        revealListOfNames.setNeutralButton("Oh, Okay..", new DialogInterface.OnClickListener() {
            public void onClick(DialogInterface dialog, int id) {
                dialog.cancel(); // Just cancel this dialog
            }
        });
    }
    else
    { // if there are players / is a player
        revealListOfNames.setTitle("Hmm.. which one to remove?");
        revealListOfNames.setSingleChoiceItems(revAr, -1, new DialogInterface.OnClickListener() {

@Override
            public void onClick(DialogInterface dialog, int which) {
                getPlayer = revAr[which].toString(); //save selected Player name to getPlayer variable for assessment later
            }
        });
        revealListOfNames.setPositiveButton("Remove", new DialogInterface.OnClickListener() {
            public void onClick(DialogInterface dialog, int which) { //if user chooses to remove a player on the list
                    db.execSQL("DELETE FROM player WHERE playerName='" + getPlayer + "'"); //Line of code to delete record with the same name as with variable getPlayer

Toast.makeText(getApplicationContext(), "Aww.. " +getPlayer+" has been removed :(", Toast.LENGTH_LONG).show();
            }
        });
        revealListOfNames.setNegativeButton("Nah..", new DialogInterface.OnClickListener() {
            public void onClick(DialogInterface dialog, int id) { //if user chooses to cancel dialog
                dialog.cancel();
                Toast.makeText(getApplicationContext(), "Uh.. Okay! :)",
                        Toast.LENGTH_SHORT).show();
            }
        });
    }
    AlertDialog alertDialog = revealListOfNames.create();
    // show alert
    alertDialog.show();
}

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

It would help if you gave some better info than "it wont let me".
If you have a compiler or runtime error message post the complete message plus the actual code it refers to. If your code is giving an incorrect result explain what result you get and what the correct result should be. If you don't know how to code something explain exactly what it is.

Thanks but I have solved it now. This was my solution:

getPlayer = revAr[which].trim();

I'm all good now..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.