Hi
I'm wondering why you would learn C++ for use in finance when you can do so many calculations on an excel spreadsheet and use VBA. I am not an expert on either though could someone tell me why C++ is better and if not why excel and VBA is better. C++ seems to be taking a long way around though I'm not that familiar with it.

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi
I'm wondering why you would learn C++ for use in finance when you can do so many calculations on an excel spreadsheet and use VBA. I am not an expert on either though could someone tell me why C++ is better and if not why excel and VBA is better. C++ seems to be taking a long way around though I'm not that familiar with it.

Thanks in advance.

I am not sure if you can compare C++ with Excel or VBA at the first place!! This sounds alien to me!

You don’t learn a computer language because you have to do financial calculations.

Which language (Excel is not a language) will you use depends on your application’s target, budget, availability of resources and tentative time to complete; there may be other factors too.

By the way there are many-many you can just dream doing in Excel and VBA…!

Hi
Thanks for the reply. I see allot of books telling you how to apply C++ in finance. Allot has to do with the derivative markets which means complicated caluclations and mathematics. I would assume excel would handle these allot better due to it's easier use though I don't know enough about C++ to know how it can be used. If you know any examples that would be great. One I can think of is to execute a buy or a sell if a certain condition exists if you can apply C++ to another program (something you can't do in excel). Though would C++ be better in other area's too?

I would like to learn C++ as a hobby and to develop a purpose for it would be a great way to learn it.
Thanks for coming back. Cheers.

Hello
This forum has tons of resources you can use to learn C++. Just have a look around...!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.