Hey there,

I have been working with some functions from windows API and now I need to find similar set of functions for Linux. Actually I need functions for Linux that will pretty much do the same or similar thing. I have been searching on google trying "Linux API" , but I couldn't find any centralised database of functions offered for Linux. Now not to be missunderstood I am aware of fact that Linux doesn't have it's own API that comes with certain distributions, and it should be installed as additional package or something. The functions I was using in WIN API are following:

GetKerningPairs
PatBlt
MapDialogRect

If you can't help me I would be thankful for link to some good Linux programmers comunity.
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hey there,

I have been working with some functions from windows API and now I need to find similar set of functions for Linux. Actually I need functions for Linux that will pretty much do the same or similar thing. I have been searching on google trying "Linux API" , but I couldn't find any centralised database of functions offered for Linux. Now not to be missunderstood I am aware of fact that Linux doesn't have it's own API that comes with certain distributions, and it should be installed as additional package or something. The functions I was using in WIN API are following:

GetKerningPairs
PatBlt
MapDialogRect

If you can't help me I would be thankful for link to some good Linux programmers comunity.
Thanks

Linux/unix evolved differently than Windows in the sense that no one company runs the show. So there is no one api. You have system calls that interact with the kernel e..g i/o functions, process control, etc. There are a number of different GUIs that can be run in any given distribution e.g. GNOME, KDE, X, etc. Each of these has its own api though they all provide basically the same functionality. And, of course, their are a multitude of APIs for any add-on or 3rd party packages.

I am not sure what those functions you are looking for do. One looks as if it has to do with a GUI dialog. If that is the case you first need to decide what GUI you are going to use in linux.

All those functions are for dealing with GUI stuff. Linux is an operating system. On top of that sits "X", the GUI. Unless you are a fanatic, you don't want to deal with xlib directly, so you'll have to choose a GUI framework. (I just responded to a similar post here: http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread102629.html).

Good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.