Hello,
I have a VB program, developed a few years ago in Visual Basic 4.0 16-bit, and adapted later in Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition. In this program I use 16-bit DAO databases.
As long as I used this program privately, this was no problem, because I also had Visual Basic 4.0 still on my PC. But now I want to sell this program on the internet, which means that it should run on all sorts of computers and various Windows versions, from Windows 95 to Windows Vista, so I want to adapt the DAO databases used in it to ADO databases, by building a new comparable database in Visual Basic 6.0 and copying the contents of the various tables to the new database. Could anyone tell me how to do that?
I would also like to know, which WINDOWS/system32 files are necessary to distribute with my application. if I keep the old 16-bit databases and make it possible for them to run on every customer computer. In many cases this goes all right now, but in some cases there are problems which cause Data Access Errors and I do not know which files are missing.
Any help and advice are appreciated.

Why convert to ADO? I successfully sell a DAO database that runs on everything from 98 to Vista. I'm not sure about 95, but feel confident it would. I've used Access 98, 2000, and 2002-2003 formats. The Visual Studio Installer, or the Package and Deployment Wizard, should identify and include all the files you need.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.