Hi,

I'm using fedora core and i'm trying to write a c++ program to read the ESSID of my current wireless connection. Is there a way to do so?

KiaN

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

If the wireless device is running a version of MS-Windows such as Mobile 5.0 then the ESSID is stored in the registry on the wireless device. If you are trying to get the ESSID from a program running on the wireless device then just read the registry. Sorry, but I don't know how to do that from a program running on fedora *nix server. MS-Windows server would use a win32 api remote function call.

If the wireless device is running a version of MS-Windows such as Mobile 5.0 then the ESSID is stored in the registry on the wireless device. If you are trying to get the ESSID from a program running on the wireless device then just read the registry. Sorry, but I don't know how to do that from a program running on fedora *nix server. MS-Windows server would use a win32 api remote function call.

Usually i can see the ESSID by running the command iwconfig. I've been searching and trying out various methods but I cant seem to capture the ESSID name using C++. I'm pretty sure it can be done, just i do not know how to.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.