All 14 Replies

hi everyone,

Java refers to the first package that was created ie awt only
Java 2 is the swing package and awt package together

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

that basically sums it up.

yup buddy...
Anyway the answer posted in this thread was obviously wrong... If some one sees that alone, they might take the wrong answer... Thats why i had to reply for that :cool:

Just a side note...this post is so long that Java has already changed to just Java SE 6, not Java 2 SE anymore.

Basically, leave it alone....it's done.

Regards,

Tyler S. Breton

Just a side note...this post is so long that Java has already changed to just Java SE 6, not Java 2 SE anymore.

Basically, leave it alone....it's done.

Regards,

Tyler S. Breton

I dont know what would go wrong if i reply... Anyway it seems to disturb u a lot... :lol: ... Im stopping for your good :twisted:

I dont know what would go wrong if i reply... Anyway it seems to disturb u a lot... :lol: ... Im stopping for your good :twisted:

Your answer would be partly correct. Factually, Sun decided to call it Java 2 - second generation or whatever logic they had, because they made a major addition with the Swing package. It included some other significant additions too but the highlighted part was the Swing package as pointed out in the first reply. There is no reason to believe that it was wrong in any sense.

My comment was on the link you posted which is a part of Java 5 documentation by Sun. That obviously was not available at that time. ;)

Finally, nobody but an old thread is disturbed by your reply. It would have hardly made a difference had you not posted.

Your answer would be partly correct. Factually, Sun decided to call it Java 2 - second generation or whatever logic they had, because they made a major addition with the Swing package. It included some other significant additions too but the highlighted part was the Swing package as pointed out in the first reply. There is no reason to believe that it was wrong in any sense.

My comment was on the link you posted which is a part of Java 5 documentation by Sun. That obviously was not available at that time. ;)

Finally, nobody but an old thread is disturbed by your reply. It would have hardly made a difference had you not posted.

What you people want to prove or expect from me?

"I'm wrong"
--- I beleive my answer is correct... 2 = AWT+Swing is not acceptable for me (I'm referring to the first answer posted in this thread, not yours). we had J2ME which had no Swing or AWT... Now that 2 is being dropped, are we just using AWT again?:surprised

... My answer was just giving meaning for the number 2. You had given a good explanation. But anyway yours wasn't there. If your answer was here, i wouldn't have replied.

"I had replied for a old post, that is wrong"
--- I agree it may not be useful for person who asked the question. It will be useful for some one who might come across this page while searching in google...

"the link is in Java 5 doc, that didnt exist @ the time of posting"
--- ofcourse, it didnt. I never said it did. But now its available. That's why i have pasted there. What's wrong in it? If I had pasted a link for Java 7 or 9( Now date is: Jan 18th 2007), I can agree it is wrong.

"Hardly no difference"
--- Then y this many comments???????? :p

We are not proving anything. The question is irrelevant now because it's been a long time since Sun used that Java 2 thing. They moved ahead so you'd better move along too.

No, you are not wrong but what you wrote is hardly of any interest to someone who is working with the language. They used that 2 till Java 5 was released thus rendering that 2 to be quite meaningless.

The whole point is that there is *no* point in resurrecting old threads. If nobody felt like asking or posting that since September 2004, you are posting only for the sake of posting. If you want to post, there are several threads where you could be helpful.

And please, get over the idea that anyone is trying to say that you did something wrong! Nobody said that and you are only making your own conclusions.

For further clarification, "hardly a difference" does not mean no difference. It means that makes some difference but it is not very significant.

On an old thread, If answering is meaningless then, leaving a comment (ofcourse -ve and just for the sake of giving one) is also meaningless. Hope to see you in several other threads where your comments could be very useful...
bye:-|

On an old thread, If answering is meaningless then, leaving a comment (ofcourse -ve and just for the sake of giving one) is also meaningless. Hope to see you in several other threads where your comments could be very useful...

I allegedly rarely make useful comments. Drivel begets more drivel.

That post is over 2.5 years old when Java 5 wasn't even around.

There is no Java 5, making his comment even more out of place.

The whole point is that there is *no* point in resurrecting old threads. If nobody felt like asking or posting that since September 2004, you are posting only for the sake of posting. If you want to post, there are several threads where you could be helpful.

Not exactly correct since its okay to bump threads provided you are not posting complete crap, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Also the forum rules here are to allow conversations flow as long as it foster a healthy debate and exchange of ideas.

And btw, there is no Java 8, 9 etc. We have J2SE, J2ME and J2EE and those are not 8th or 9th versions of Java, they are still dealing with Java 2.

What should I take this comment to be as...an attempt to start another flame war ?

Many threads have got closed because of such trivial things and please don't let this thread come to the same fate.....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.