Hi I'm a final year university student and i'm running into a bit of trouble with my final year project (It's very important)

My task is to create a DBA (Database Administration) tool in visual basic to allow me to add/edit/delete users from an existing oracle(sql) database.

I really don't know where to start so I was wondering if anyone could give me a link or a reference of code as to how to connect to the database. My sql itself is pretty good so the commands themselves shouldn't be too difficult but it's the actual conncetion that is the problem as I have no idea where to begin.

Oh and could you please offer clear instructions as I don't want to simply cut and paste code into my work I'd rather have an understanding of how I've done what I've done.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

To manage management tasks you can use SMO namespace

hmm...you want to connect with sqlserver or oracle???

sorry i wish to connect to an oracle database as I am actually modifying oracle users not the actual databases involved within it.

I am using the .net framework for oracle to access it and have the connectiong strings etc etc

but for some reason I can't declare the connection and things like I would with OLE DB. can anyone help?

I hope this helps:

The Microsoft provider ships with the .NET Framework 1.1. All types are contained in the System.Data.OracleClient namespace. The Microsoft provider requires Oracle client version 8.1.7 or above.

ODP.NET is freely available from the Oracle Technology Network (OTN) at http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/windows/odpnet/index.html. The types are contained in two namespaces—Oracle.DataAccess.Client (data access classes and enumerations) and Oracle.DataAccess.Types (classes and structures for Oracle data types). Both namespaces are in the assembly Oracle.DataAccess.dll located in the oracle\ora92\bin directory. ODP.NET requires Oracle client version 9.2 or later.

Regards
Sunil Punjabi
<snipped URL>

connection to sql database via vb: we use connection string. syntax as follows, cnnStr="provider=microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0; data source= the name of your database.mdb"
bt if you use database that is save from c/drive....you'l put that 'c/' before the name of you database

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.