Well, I'm starting to get into C++ and well.. The only commands I know are simple I\O commands, so, I've programmed in C and if you know C you know that in windows.h you can do say System(""); to execute somthing in the command prompt.
The thing is, I don't know what's what.
For example..
Say there's a command like
System("");
Well, how do I know and access the paremetters of this command?
Also, I'm using Visual C++ 6.0.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

>if you know C you know that in windows.h you can do say
>System(""); to execute somthing in the command prompt.
Actually, the system function (no caps) is declared in stdlib.h, and it's not restricted to Windows. However, the string you pass represents a command string that you would use in the command prompt, so it's inherently non-portable.

>Well, how do I know and access the paremetters of this command?
I'm not sure what you're asking. Can you rephrase your question?

Say you want to do a command in C++ such as cout. How do I know that I'm supposed to put cout << ""? Is that clear?

Well, how do I know and access the paremetters of this command?

In general, look into the documentation of each of the functions that you are to use. If you installed MSDN along with VC 6, you already have a lots of documentation on your computer.
On internet, there are available tutorials/references on the language itself, if you happen to need one.

>How do I know that I'm supposed to put cout << ""? Is that clear?
Not really. I mean, you know you're supposed to put cout<<""; by learning C++. Likewise, any API or library you want to use, you read the documentation, sample code (or existing code), and educational material to figure out how it's used.

I'll re-install it with MSDN and see if it does help at all.

I'll re-install it with MSDN and see if it does help at all.

It probably will, you can invoke the Help by pressing F1 whilst in the code editor, the help system then looks up the documentation on the currently 'focused' word in your code.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.