I've written the program out but I'm not sure on how I can get the largest and smallest # to display.. can anyone help? thanks.

Write a program with a loop that lets the user enter a series of integers. The user should enter -99 to signal the end of the series. After all the numbers have been entered, the program should display the largest and smallest numbers entered.

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()

{
    int number = 0;

cout << "This program will let you enter number after\n";
    cout << "number. Enter 99 when you want to quit the ";
    cout << "program.\n";

while (number !=99)
        cin >> number;
    cout << "Done\n";
    return 0;

}

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I think this would work:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{

///////////////////////////////Creating variables/////////////////////////////////////

int number = 0;
int min, max;

///////////////////////////////Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!///////////////////////////////////

cout << "This program will let you enter number after\n";
cout << "number. Enter 99 when you want to quit the ";
cout << "loop.\n";

///////////////////////For initialising values of min and max////////////////////////

cin>>number;

if(number==99) return(0); //if the number is 99 the program will quit

min = max = number; //initialize the values of min and max to compare with later inputs

///////////////////////////Loop to get the numbers/////////////////////////////////

while(number!=99) //loop
{
cin>>number;

/////////////////////////////Evaluating the numbers/////////////////////////////////

if(number ==99) break; //break the loop or else max will become 99 if this line is not there
else if(number>max) max = number; //if the no. is greater than max then it becomes the max
else if(number<min) min = number; // if the no. is smaller than min then it becomes min

} //end of loop

////////////////////Printing the smallest and biggest numbers/////////////////////

cout<<"The smallest number is: "<<min<<endl; //displays smallest no.
cout<<"The biggest number is: "<<max<<endl; //displays biggest no.
return 0;
}

Little help please:

cout << "loop.\n"; does this play any role or its just an output -> "n"

I didn’t understand this part too:

min = max = number;

Why did we have to equal the min and max to number...? Which is 0?

Are max and min are reserved word for C++.

>cout << "loop.\n"; does this play any role or its just an output -> "n"
I assume you mean \n. It's an escape character that tells cout to print a newline.

>Why did we have to equal the min and max to number...? Which is 0?
min and max denote the smallest and largest value encountered, respectively. Because at this point the only value encountered was number, both min and max must be that value.

>Are max and min are reserved word for C++.
Yes and no. The rules are a bit tricky, but in this case there's no problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.