I am using Visual Studio 2005.

Following two programs has the same code, just that one is CLR Console application and the other is Win32 Console application.

I set a break point at int i=1 for both program, for CLR Console application, and when run to the break point, in the local windows,
I have seen none of the value set for the array beans;but for Win32 Console application, the value has been set correctly.

What is the reason for this different?
====CLR Console application====

#include "stdafx.h"

int main(array<System::String ^> ^args)
{
      double beans[3][4];
      beans[0][0] = 0;
      beans[0][1] = 1;
      beans[0][2] = 2;
      beans[0][3] = 3;
      beans[1][0] = 10;
      beans[1][1] = 11;
      beans[1][2] = 12;
      beans[1][3] = 13;
      beans[2][0] = 20;
      beans[2][1] = 21;
      beans[2][2] = 22;
      beans[2][3] = 23;
      double (*pbeans) [4] =beans;
      pbeans++;
      int i=1;
}

====CLR Console application End====

===Win32 Console application=====

int main(){
      double beans[3][4];
      beans[0][0] = 0;
      beans[0][1] = 1;
      beans[0][2] = 2;
      beans[0][3] = 3;
      beans[1][0] = 10;
      beans[1][1] = 11;
      beans[1][2] = 12;
      beans[1][3] = 13;
      beans[2][0] = 20;
      beans[2][1] = 21;
      beans[2][2] = 22;
      beans[2][3] = 23;
      double (*pbeans) [4] =beans;
      pbeans++;
      int i=1;
}

===Win32 Console application End=====

This is what I see for CLR Console App when debugging
http://tinyurl.com/5jq4yb
This is what I see for Win32 Console App when debugging
http://tinyurl.com/69xzmb

I am using debug configuration, and
is what appeared in Projects>TestCLR Properties>Configuration Properties>Command Line
/Od /D "WIN32" /D "_DEBUG" /D "_UNICODE" /D "UNICODE" /FD /EHa /MDd /Yu"stdafx.h" /Fp"Debug\TestCLR.pch" /Fo"Debug\\" /Fd"Debug\vc80.pdb" /W3 /nologo /c /Zi /clr /TP /errorReport:prompt /FU "c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.dll" /FU "c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Data.dll" /FU "c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.XML.dll"
under Active(Debug) configuration.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Maybe its a compiler debugger bug -- I used VC++ 2008 Express and the CLR version displays the values the same way your link shows for the win32 console program.

Hi Ancient Dragon,
I have updated my VS to Service Pack 1, now CLR Application Console looks normal again!
As you have mentioned, the problem may related to VS debugger itself.

actually i was going to ask the question on title of this thread that is what is the difference between clr console application and win32 console application. how are they different in use etc.

Very briefly, clr is managed, .NET, program. Win32 console is not.

ok i understand what you mean, can you do the same for windows forms development? can you write unmanaged windows forms development so that it can operate faster?

what makes you think managed code runs faster than unmanaged code? Faster is a relative word -- top speed is not an issue with programs that require human interaction.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.