Can you please tell me what's wrong with this statement ? i get no errors but I get no o/p either!

Private Sub Button6_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button6.Click

Dim con As OleDbConnection = New OleDb.OleDbConnection("provider=microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;data source=C:\Documents and Settings\bashkark\Desktop\Copy of USERS.mdb")

If (ComboBox6.SelectedItem = 0.5) And (ComboBox7.SelectedItem) Then

Dim cmd1 As New OleDbCommand

cmd1 = New OleDbCommand("select * from table1 where RAM between 0.5000 and 2.000")

End If

End Sub

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Hi,

You specified the connection and command objects but you probably want a data reader...also you'll need to open the connection.

Dim dr As OleDbDataReader
dr = cmd1.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.Default)

Do while dr.read()
variablename = dr("columnName")

loop

Hi Ripper thanks for ur reply..

the error that i get is

"Conversion from string "" to type 'Double' is not valid." at the line

"If (ComboBox6.SelectedItem = "") And (ComboBox7.SelectedItem = "") Then"

please help me rectify this problem!!

Private Sub Button6_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button6.Click

Dim con As OleDbConnection = New OleDb.OleDbConnection("provider=microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;data source=C:\Documents and Settings\bashkark\Desktop\Copy of USERS.mdb")

If (ComboBox6.SelectedItem = "") And (ComboBox7.SelectedItem = "") Then

MsgBox("No Values have been entered ! ")

End If

cmd1 = New OleDbCommand("select * from table1 where RAM between '%" & ComboBox6.SelectedItem & "%' and '%" & ComboBox7.SelectedItem & "%'", con)

End Sub 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KB - Knowledge is Power!

It's trying to convert the datatype on the left side to the empty string on the right side of the =. Try...

If (ComboBox6.SelectedItem = 0) And (ComboBox7.SelectedItem = 0) Then

It's trying to convert the datatype on the left side to the empty string on the right side of the =. Try...

If (ComboBox6.SelectedItem = 0) And (ComboBox7.SelectedItem = 0) Then

just curious..what does that statement do ?

I get the error in the "if" statement. please take a look at it..

if i hit the "click" button directly without choosing the RAM values I expect the Msg box to pop up ..instead i get an error.. ! pls see code for error../

If (ComboBox6.SelectedItem = " ") And (ComboBox7.SelectedItem = " ") Then //error:"conversion from string"" to 'double' is not valid"

MsgBox("No Values have been entered !")

End If

cmd1 = New OleDbCommand("select * from table1 where RAM between '& ComboBox6.SelectedItem & ' and '& ComboBox7.SelectedItem & '", con)

Dim da As OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDbDataAdapter(cmd1)

Try

Dim ds As DataSet = New DataSet()

da.Fill(ds, "table1") //error : data type mismatch in criteria expression

DataGridView1.DataSource = ds.Tables("table1").DefaultView

Finally

con.Close()

cmd1 = Nothing

da.Dispose()

con.Dispose()

End Try

End Sub

Data type mismatch in criteria expression.is the error that i get at line da.Fill(ds, "table1") if i modified the code as below (after removing the"if" statement"

cmd1 = New OleDbCommand("select * from table1 where RAM between '& ComboBox6.SelectedItem & ' and '& ComboBox7.SelectedItem & '", con)

Try

da.Fill(ds, "table1")

Finally

con.Close()

cmd1 = Nothing

da.Dispose()

con.Dispose()

End Try

End Sub

Do you have real values selected in the combobox6 & 7 when the click event is fired or does it only fail when you haven't specified any values? If there isn't any values select then you should not run the query.

hi ripper..either way i get the same error on da.fill(ds,"table1"). that is..when i dont choose any value from either combobox and hit the click and when i choose 1 value from each of the 2 combo boxes and hit click..

yesboth my combo boxes have numbers like.2.980, 3.000,0.5000,3.000,1.000,2.000,3.250 in each of them..

pls suggest something..i have been stuck on this for weeks now..

You can try to test to see if a value has been entered and if so then run your code.

If IsNumeric(ComboBox6.SelectedItem) = True And IsNumeric(ComboBox7.SelectedItem) = True Then
            If ComboBox7.SelectedItem > ComboBox6.SelectedItem Then

'code here

Else

'Msgbox("Ram should be selected")
		Exit Sub

End If

Else
            'exit the sub 
            'MsgBox("blah")

Exit Sub

End If

Here's info an the function IsNumeric

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6cd3f6w1(VS.71).aspx

Ripper:

but apart from being numeric..my data also has decimals..i am not sure if isnumeric would work in that case..
also..i m not comparing the value in the combobox6 and 7. i want all the values equal to and between them..

You can try to test to see if a value has been entered and if so then run your code.

If IsNumeric(ComboBox6.SelectedItem) = True And IsNumeric(ComboBox7.SelectedItem) = True Then

'code here

Else

Exit Sub

End If

Else
            'exit the sub 
            'MsgBox("blah")

Exit Sub

End If

Here's info an the function IsNumeric

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6cd3f6w1(VS.71).aspx

Ripper..

i read the MSFT link that u sent to me..where it says that isnumeric is applicable for decimals also..i tried it and the code is below but I still get the same error..! :(

cmd1 = New OleDbCommand("select * from table1 where RAM between '" & IsNumeric(ComboBox6.SelectedItem) & "' and '" & IsNumeric(ComboBox7.SelectedItem) & "'", con)

Try

da.Fill(ds, "table1")

Finally

con.Close()

cmd1 = Nothing

da.Dispose()

con.Dispose()

End Try

End Sub

Basically what you want to do is determine if valid values exist before trying to run the query. I haven't tried this out so please test...

Try

da.Fill(ds, "table1")

Finally

con.Close()

cmd1 = Nothing

da.Dispose()

con.Dispose()

End Try

Else

Exit Sub

End If

Else
            'exit the sub 
            'MsgBox("blah")

Exit Sub

End If If IsNumeric(ComboBox6.SelectedItem) = True And IsNumeric(ComboBox7.SelectedItem) = True Then

'code here

Else

Exit Sub

End If

Else
            'exit the sub 
            'MsgBox("blah")

Exit Sub

End If

End Sub

I pasted too much try this...

Try

da.Fill(ds, "table1")

Finally

con.Close()

cmd1 = Nothing

da.Dispose()

con.Dispose()

End Try

Else

Exit Sub

End If

Else
            'exit the sub 
            'MsgBox("blah")

Exit Sub

End If

Exit Sub

cmd1 = New OleDbCommand("select * from table1 where RAM between '" & CDbl(ComboBox6.SelectedItem) & "' and '" & CDbl(ComboBox7.SelectedItem) & "'", con)

Try

da.Fill(ds, "table1")

Finally

con.Close()

cmd1 = Nothing

da.Dispose()

con.Dispose()

End Try

End Sub

I get error : "data type mismatch in criteria expression" at line da.fill(ds,"table1").. i am sure its a datatype mismatch due to decimal.. but I am not sure how to rectify this!!

Ripper:

I am sure that its something to do with data type but i am not able to figure out..!

cmd1 = New OleDbCommand("select * from table1 where RAM between '" & CDec(ComboBox6.SelectedItem) & "' and '" & CDec(ComboBox7.SelectedItem) & "'", con)

Try

da.Fill(ds, "table1")

Finally

con.Close()

cmd1 = Nothing

da.Dispose()

con.Dispose()

End Try

End Sub

I believe the problem is that the query is being run without valid values being assigned to the comboboxes. It's probably trying to compare the Ram columns decimal data type to a empty

Have you tried this code...

Try

da.Fill(ds, "table1")

Finally

con.Close()

cmd1 = Nothing

da.Dispose()

con.Dispose()

End Try

Else

Exit Sub

End If

Else
            'exit the sub 
            'MsgBox("Ram should be selected")

Exit Sub

End If

End Sub

Hi Ripper ..

i tried ur code but i still get the same error on the same line

kb..

I believe the problem is that the query is being run without valid values being assigned to the comboboxes. It's probably trying to compare the Ram columns decimal data type to a empty

Have you tried this code...

Try

da.Fill(ds, "table1")

Finally

con.Close()

cmd1 = Nothing

da.Dispose()

con.Dispose()

End Try

Else

Exit Sub

End If

Else
            'exit the sub 
            'MsgBox("Ram should be selected")

Exit Sub

End If

End Sub

Sorry for the late reply, I've been pretty busy at work. I've pasted some code below I had some single quotes that should have been double quotes in the previous code. I've tested the code on my system and It pulls the data properly.

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

'Dim con As OleDbConnection = New OleDb.OleDbConnection("provider=microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;data source=C:\Documents and Settings\bashkark\Desktop\Copy of USERS.mdb")

cmd1 = New OleDbCommand("select * from table1 where RAM between " & ComboBox6.SelectedItem & " and " & ComboBox7.SelectedItem, con)

Dim ds As DataSet = New ramDataSet()

Try

da.Fill(ds, "TABLE1")

DataGridView1.DataSource = ds.Tables("TABLE1").DefaultView

Finally

con.Close()

cmd1 = Nothing

da.Dispose()

con.Dispose()

End Try

Else

MsgBox("Ram should be selected")
                Exit Sub

End If

Else
            'exit the sub 
            MsgBox("Ram should be selected")

Exit Sub

End If
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.