Hi All

I was reading through the swing tutorial at http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/start/compile.html
and i copied and pasted the provided source code for the HelloWorldSwing.java program.
It compiled fine but when i went to run it the following error message was returned

java HelloWorldSwing
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: HelloWorldSwing (wrong name: start/HelloWorldSwing)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)

I have no idea what the error means, like i said i copied the source code from the sun site so i thought it would run ok so most likely there is something wrong with my pc.

Does anyone know whats wrong please?

Many thanks

HLA91

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Well, actually those directions aren't quite correct on the tutorial page. The file they reference has a package declaration

package start;

but they do not mention that and the command to run that file won't work as they have it written. Remove that package declaration and re-compile it and it should work fine.

If you leave in the package statement, you would need to have that class file in a directory called 'start' and from it's parent directory you would execute it as follows

java start.HelloWorldSwing
commented: Thanx for the tip :) +9

OK thanks, i removed the package declaration and it was all good, thanks for the info, strange that the tutorial didnt mention anything about it though and I would have expected them to, if it was going to affect the compilation

I suspect it was merely an oversight and needs to be corrected on that page.

its a classpath error check your classpath.

its a classpath error check your classpath.

No, it is not a classpath problem. It's a package declaration problem as already stated.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.