Hi, I have got to the section on command line arguments on my online textbook. All the information I can find on it seems to assume that I know how to put command lines into my program but I don't have a clue :$
Can anyone help?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

command line arguments are entered into your program via main() function. it has two optional arguments int main(int argc, char* argv[]) argc == number of arguments and always > 0 because the name of the program is 1

argv == array of characters that contain the strings that you put on the command line, separated by spaces or tabs. argv[0] is always the name of the program.

So if you typed this on the command line your program would bet four arguments c:>myprog one two three <Enter> argv[0] = "myprog"
argv[1] = "one"
etc

So if you typed this on the command line your program would bet four arguments c:>myprog one two three <Enter>

This is the bit I don't get. Where do you access the command line? I can't find it. I have just been running all my programs in the compiler. Is this wrong?

What compiler do you use? Most compilers with an attached IDE have a place where you can put command line arguments. Visual C++ 2005 for example has it in the project properties under the debugging configuration.

What version of Windows are you using? I think they all have an icon on the Start menu called Command Prompt. Goto Start --> Accessories, and you will find it on that menu.

When you get that window you will have to change directories to the location where your program's *.exe is located.

c:>cd <path goes here> <Enter key>
commented: Thanks :) +1
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.